RB Leipzig advanced to the UEFA Europa League knockout stage after losing their final UEFA Champions League group match at home to section winners Besiktas on Wednesday.
RB Leipzig 1-2 Besiktas
Goals: 0-1 Negredo (pen. 10’), 1-1 Keita (87’), 1-2 Talisca (90’)
Without the injured Emil Forsberg, Leipzig nonetheless signalled their attacking intent by pairing Jean-Kevin Augustin alongside Timo Werner up front. But it was the visiting team that opened the scoring after Willi Orban brought down Jeremain Lens in the area. Alvaro Negredo sent home keeper Peter Gulacsi the wrong way from the spot to give Besiktas a lead to protect only ten minutes in. Orban struck a post five minutes later and Werner had the ball in the net soon afterwards, but a raised offside flag meant his classy finish counted for nothing.
Having been frustrated until half-time, the home side will still be trying to work out how they failed to score in the first 15 minutes after the restart. Werner, Naby Keita and Kevin Kampl all had great chances but found Besiktas goalkeeper Tolga Zengin in inspired form. Augustin had another goal chalked off for offside 25 minutes from time before Stefan Ilsanker was sent off late on. Keita finally got the ten men level but an infuriating night for the hosts ended with Talisca firing Besiktas back in front with just seconds left.
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Klostermann, Orban (c) (Compper 71'), Ilsanker, Halstenberg (Bernardo 66') - Kampl (Kaiser 74'), Demme, Keita, Bruma – Augustin, Werner
Coach: Ralph Hasenhüttl
Besiktas: Zengin (c) – Uysal (Adriano 50'), Mitrovic, Tosic, Erkin, - Medel, Ozyakup - Lens, Talisca, Pektemek (Orkan 69') - Negredo (Tosun 80')
Coach: Senol Günes
- Keita scored his second goal in this season's Champions League as Leipzig lost at home for the first time in Europe.
- Dominik Kaiser came on to make his first appearance in the Champions League. The 29-year-old has been with Leipzig since they were in the German fourth division.
- Werner has scored 11 goals in all competitions for Leipzig this season, including three in the Champions League.
- Leipzig qualified for the competition after finishing second to Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga last season, in what was, remarkably, their maiden top-flight campaign.
- RBL are the 12th German club to play in the Champions League group stage.
- Turkey centre-back Altinc Nukan is on loan at Besiktas from Leipzig, though injury precluded him from the hosts’ European squad.