FC Bayern München kick off the defence of their Bundesliga title at home to last season's relegation battlers SV Werder Bremen on 26 August; 2015/16 runners-up Borussia Dortmund take on 1. FSV Mainz 05.
Download:Click above to download the 2016/17 schedule (.pdf)
There is also the small matter of a clash between two UEFA Champions League combatants in Borussia Mönchengladbach and Bayer 04 Leverkusen and an eye-opening encounter for newcomers RB Leipzig at TSG 1899 Hoffenheim over the weekend 27/28 August. bundesliga.com runs the rule over the opening weekend following the publication of the 2016/17 #bundesligaschedule.
- Bayern have won the last 11 league meetings between the two sides, inflicting some heavy losses on Bremen: 7-0, 5-2, 6-0, 4-0 and 5-0.The Reds are unbeaten in 18 matches in all competitions against Werder, winning 15 and drawing three, with three victories in the DFB Cup.Bremen have suffered more defeats (49) and conceded more goals (194) against Bayern than against any other German club.The Green-Whites' last win against Bayern came in September 2008 in a 5-2 triumph at the Allianz Arena.On Matchday 32 of the 2003/04 season, Werder beat Bayern 3-1 to seal their fourth and hitherto last Bundesliga title.Bayern have never lost at home to Bremen after scoring the game's first goal (27 wins, five draws).
- It was against Köln that SV Darmstadt suffered their first-ever Bundesliga defeat back on 19 August 1978. The Billy Goats won the game 2-1, although Peter Cestonaro beat Harald 'Toni' Schumacher to net Darmstadt's first Bundesliga goal.
- Thomas Tuchel spent five years as Mainz coach between 2009 and 2014, leading the club to a then record-breaking seven straight wins to start the 2010-11 season.Dortmund have lost just once to Mainz - a 2-0 defeat in September 2014 - in the sides' last ten meetings and are unbeaten in this fixture when they have scored first (eight wins, four draws).Six penalties have been awarded in the last five games between the two - four for Dortmund, two for Mainz.Mainz have lost their last five matches at Dortmund - including two 4-2 defeats - and are winless in their last ten trips there.Dortmund have also never lost at home to Mainz in the Bundesliga.
- This fixture ended 1-1 last season, but the match was arguably more memorable for its scrappy, feisty nature. No fewer than eight players were booked.
- This is the first-ever clash between two of the Bundesliga’s youngest sides. Hoffenheim were promoted in 2008-09, whilst Leipzig became the Bundesliga’s 55th club with their promotion in 2015/16.
- Borussia have won just two of their last eight games against Leverkusen, although their most recent win, on Matchday 33 of the 2015/16 campaign, effectively sealed their place in this season's UEFA Champions League qualifying round.A whopping 60 goals have been scored in the last 15 meetings between these two - an average of exactly four goals per match.Leverkusen went 26 games unbeaten against the Foals between 1994 and 2010, and have only lost three from 11 encounters since.Gladbach suffered their heaviest defeat against Leverkusen back in 1998, when Die Werkself won 8-2.
- Augsburg are something of a bogey team for Wolfsburg, losing just two of their ten meetings. Moreover, the Wolves have managed just 0.6 goals per game against Augsburg, even less than they have managed against Bayern.
- Schalke have lost 11 times against Frankfurt after taking the lead, more than against any other club. However, that last occurred back in 1999, and the Royal Blues have lost just two of their last 20 matches against the Eagles.