The 2015/16 Bundesliga campaign is drawing to a close but with seven rounds of matches remaining, all 18 teams still have plenty to play for as they look to get the most out of one of the most exciting seasons in the history of Germany’s top flight.
But how are things shaping up heading into the final stretch and how good are each side's chances of reaching their targets? bundesliga.com puts Borussia Dortmund under the microscope.
Story so far
- Having occupied the runners-up spot since Matchday 6, BVB have not given up hope of catching FC Bayern München .
- After a difficult 2014/15 campaign, Thomas Tuchel’s Dortmund roared out of the traps in August, winning eleven games in a row in all competitions (in the Bundesliga, DFB Cup and UEFA Europa League).
- BVB have started the new calendar year in similar fashion. Indeed, Die Schwarz-Gelben are the only Bundesliga team yet to lose in 2016.
- Only Robert Lewandowski (25) currently has more goals than 2015 African Footballer of the Year Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang this season.
Still to play for
- Dortmund have already secured a top-four finish, but a berth among the top three would secure a return to the group stages of the UEFA Champions League.
- League leaders Bayern, who hold a five-point lead at the top of the division, host Champions League hopefuls FC Schalke 04 and Borussia Mönchengladbach in the coming weeks. If the record titleholders slip up, BVB are well-positioned to pounce.
- Dortmund are still competing on three fronts, having reached the semi-finals of the DFB Cup and the last eight of the Europa League.
In-form star: Henrikh Mkhitaryan
- Mkhitaryan has scored ten goals and chipped in with a further ten assists in the Bundesliga this season. In 43 appearances in all competitions, the Armenian international has scored 20 and laid on a further 24.
- Only four other players have been directly involved in more than 20 league goals this season (Aubameyang, Lewandowski, Thomas Müller and Raffael). Only the Borussia Mönchengladbach forward has reached double figures in goals and assists so far.