Cologne – History will be made in Mainz this Saturday when FC Ingolstadt 04 become the 54th team to play in the Bundesliga.
The Bavarian newcomers travel to 1. FSV Mainz 05 (kick-off 15:30 CET / 13:30 GMT) looking to get their maiden top-flight campaign off to a winning start, and potentially repeat the exploit of their predecessors SC Paderborn 07, who also faced Mainz on the opening day of last season – and picked up a point.
- Mainz have not lost a fixture on the opening day of the season for a decade. Their last Matchday 1 defeat was in Cologne in 2005.
- Ingolstadt, on the other hand, last won their first game of a season in 2009/10, when they were in the third division and beat FC Bayern München's reserve team.
- Mainz have never lost a home game on the opening day of a season (four wins, one draw).
- Ralph Hasenhüttl paid Mainz a visit three times in Bundesliga 2, without winning once (two draws, one defeat). The former striker nevertheless scored a goal on his last visit (April 2002 in a 1-1 with Greuther Fürth).
- FCI won the only previous time the two sides met in Mainz in Bundesliga 2 – a comprehensive 3-0 victory. Mainz gained revenge in the reverse fixture, however.
- From the current Mainz squad, only Niko Bungert was involved in both of those Bundesliga 2 meetings over the entire 90 minutes.
- Ingolstadt are the 30th side Mainz will meet in the Bundesliga. Only against Alemannia Aachen and MSV Dusiburg have they failed to win.
- Inglostadt's new signing Elias Kachunga also netted against Mainz on his Bundesliga debut for Paderborn last season – the first Bundesliga goal in the East Westphalian club's history – in a 2-2 draw. He could do the same for Ingolstadt this weekend.
- Ingolstadt's Tobias Levels has visited Mainz three times with Mönchengladbach and Düsseldorf, going home beaten without his team scoring a goal on each occasion.