Wolfsburg picked up a valuable point in their battle against relegation on Saturday evening thanks to a 0-0 draw at Hertha Berlin, but the Wolves will nevertheless be disappointed not to have won against their off-colour hosts.
Sent off: Guilavogui (90'+1)
Wolfsburg welcomed back captain Ignacio Camacho to the side after the Spaniard recovered from a long-term ankle injury and his tenacious presence in midfield gave the visitors the bite and stability they have been lacking of late. Nevertheless, Hertha had the first chance of the game when Mathew Leckie's header struck the post following a corner. The visitors also hit the woodwork before the break when Robin Knoche's flick from Maximilian Arnold's cross grazed the upright, leaving the sides deadlocked at the interval.
The second half was a scrappy affair - partly due to the difficult playing conditions in heavy rain - as both sides cancelled each other out. Wolfsburg's Koen Casteels was the busier of the two goalkeepers, making good saves from Maximilian Mittelstädt and Davie Selke to keep a clean sheet, but in truth neither team ever posed a sustained threat in the final third. Josuha Guilavogui was sent off in stoppage time for a second bookable offence, but it ultimately had little bearing on a game that deservedly ended in a draw.
- Wolfsburg's Camacho made his first appearance since 25 October 2017 after recovering from injury.
- Hertha's Mittelstädt started at left-back for the first time this season, replacing the suspended Marvin Plattenhardt.
- Hertha striker Vedad Ibisevic scored his first goal of the season against Wolfsburg in the reverse fixture.
- Julian Schieber made his first appearance for Hertha since 11 February 2017.
- Berlin defender Peter Pekarik made 55 Bundesliga appearances for Wolfsburg between 2009 and 2012, winning the Bundesliga title in his first season with the club.
- Born in Berlin, Wolfsburg's injured defender John Brooks made 90 top-flight outings for Hertha in 10 years before moving to Lower Saxony last summer.
Hertha: Jarstein – Weiser, Stark, Rekik, Mittelstädt – Maier (Duda 70'), Lustenberger, Darida – Leckie, Ibisevic (c) (Selke 62'), Kalou (Schieber 83')
Unused subs: Kraft, Pekarik, Skjelbred, Esswein
Absentees: Plattenhardt (suspended)
Coach: Pal Dardai
Wolfsburg: Casteels – Verhaegh, Bruma, Knoche, William – Guilavogui, Camacho (c), Arnold – Osimhen (Didavi 46'), Dimata (Origi 83'), Brekalo (Steffen 68')
Unused subs: Grün, Bazoer, Itter, Jaeckel
Absentees: Brooks (knee), Tisserand (thigh), Gerhardt (ankle), Blaszczykowski (thigh), Mehmedi (foot)
Coach: Bruno Labbadia
Watch: Wolfsburg's Bruma ready for relegation fight