Goals: 1-0 Höfler (49'), 2-0 Kleindienst (65')
Despite being shorn of top scorer Michael Gregoritsch and assist king Philipp Max, the visitors managed to create the game's first clear opportunity. His persistent running parting the Freiburg waves, Rani Khedira fed teammate Jonathan Schmid whose deflected effort flew narrowly wide. At the other end, goalkeeper Andreas Luthe produced a top-class save to deny Manuel Gulde after Marco Terrazzino's set piece had initially been met by Marc-Oliver Kempf.
The possibility of a first ever scoreless meeting between these teams lasted all but a few second-half minutes thanks to Höfler's first goal of the season. Battling to get to Nils Petersen's ball into the area, Mike Frantz finally succeeded and looked on as his dangerous centre was converted by the determined Höfler. Freiburg lost their last seven end-of-season games prior to this encounter, but the chances of that becoming eight were obliterated when Kleindienst calmly sent a left-footed effort through the legs of Luthe for 2-0. Cue celebration time for the majority of fans inside the Schwarzwald-Stadion.
- Höfler's opener was his first goal in 53 games.
- Tim Kleindienst registered for the second game in a row.
- Augsburg are Freiburg’s favourite opponents, statistically, with the Black Forest club winning 11 of their last 13 home games against Die Fuggerstädter.
- There has never been a goalless draw between these two sides, who contested the first of their 25 meetings in all competitions back in 1978.
- With this result, Freiburg ended a run of seven previous final-day defeats.
Freiburg: Schwolow – Kübler, Gulde, Kempf, Günter – Haberer (Söyüncü 85'), Frantz (Stenzel 61'), Höfler, Terrazzino – Kleindienst, Petersen (c) (Koch 72')
Unused subs: Gikiewicz, Schuster, Ravet, Höler
Absentees: Stanko (knee), Abrashi (cruciate ligament), Ravet (thigh), Niederlechner (knee)
Coach: Christian Streich
Augsburg: Luthe – Danso, Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Schmid – Khedira (Córdova 55'), Morávek (Asta 80'), Baier (c) – Richter, Finnbogason, Caiuby
Unused subs: Giefer, Kacar, Janker, Bekiroglu, Rösch
Absentees: Gregoritsch (adductor), Hitz (not considered), Opare (not considered), Framberger (ankle), Jakob (knee), Max (suspended), Heller (suspended), Koo (knee)
Coach: Manuel Baum