Goals: 0-1 McKennie (48'), 0-2 Burgstaller (53')
There were chances at both ends inside the opening five minutes at the Merkur Spiel-Arena. Daniel Caligiuri’s free-kick was flicked wide of the target by Naldo, before Benito Raman stroked past the far post in a one-on-one situation with Ralf Fährmann. The visitors, who recorded their first victory of the campaign against Mainz last weekend, started to gain a stranglehold on proceedings as the half wore on and went close to breaking the deadlock shortly before the interval, but Franco di Santo’s low effort from a tight angle trickled just wide of the mark.
Domenico Tedesco’s side continued to dominate after the interval and deservedly took the lead when McKennie turned in Suat Serdar’s cut-back at the near post. Michael Rensing did brilliantly to save Nabil Bentaleb’s goal-bound effort moments later, but the former Bayern Munich custodian could only watch as Guido Burgstaller tucked home the rebound to double the Gelsenkirchen club’s lead eight minutes into the second half. Marcin Kaminski had a goal disallowed for offside as the hosts pushed for a route back into the game, but the Royal Blues held on comfortably to climb out of the relegation zone, with Düsseldorf replacing Die Knappen in the bottom two.
- McKennie scored his first Bundesliga goal for Schalke - three days after opening his UEFA Champions League account for the club.
- Burgstaller netted his first goal of the season at the Merkur Spiel-Arena.
- Serdar registered his first ever Bundesliga assist on his 50th league appearance.
- Schalke scored twice in a game for the first time this season.
- Fortuna boss Friedhelm Funkel took part in his 786th Bundesliga game as player and coach, drawing level with Werder Bremen’s Thomas Schaaf as the fifth-most prevalent Bundesliga protagonist.
- Omar Mascarell was handed his first Bundesliga start for Schalke.
Fortuna: Rensing - Zimmer, Ayman, Bodzek (c) (Ducksch 63'), Kaminski, Gießelmann (Usami 66') - Morales, Sobottka - Zimmermann, Raman - Hennings
Unused substitutes: Theißen, Nielsen, Lovren, Stöger, Bormuth
Absentees: Contento (cruciate ligament), Karaman (muscle), Wiesner (pubic bone), Wolf (neck)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel
Schalke: Fährmann (c) - Caligiuri, Sane, Naldo, Mendyl - McKennie (Konoplyanka 79'), Mascarell, Bentaleb - Serdar (Uth 62') - Burgstaller, Di Santo (Embolo 88')
Unused substitutes: Nübel, Nastasic, Rudy, Teuchert
Absentees: Stambouli (knee), Oczipka (groin)
Coach: Domenico Tedesco
Watch: McKennie on scoring his first Bundesliga goal