Eintracht Frankfurt 3-0 Mainz
Goals: 1-0 Rebic (17’), 2-0 Hack (o.g. 53’), 3-0 Mascarell (62’)
Red card: Latza (81’)
The home team were much the better side in the ear;u stages and kept Mainz at arm’s length, but it was only thanks to a mistake by returning goalkeeper Rene Adler that the Eagles took the lead. The Germany goalkeeper’s loose touch when dealing with a back-pass opened the door to Marius Wolf, who was able to square a simple pass to Ante Rebic for his second goal of the season.
Mainz came out in the second half with real intent as they looked to get back into the tie, but they made two further defensive errors and were punished by Eintracht on both occasions. First, Alexander Hack turned into his own net after a Sebastien Haller cross before Omar Mascarell put the game beyond doubt as he dispossessed Hack on the edge of the 05ers’ box and calmly lobbed the onrushing Adler. Danny Latza was sent off for the visitors for a rash tackle on Marco Fabian in the closing minutes to round off a miserable night for Mainz.
- Mainz have conceded more own goals against Frankfurt than against any other team.
- Frankfurt are in a second consecutive semi-final for the first time since 1975.
- The only previous DFB Cup tie between these two teams came in the second round of the 1986/87 competition, when Eintracht won 1-0 after extra-time.
- Frankfurt have lifted the DFB Cup on four occasions, with all four of their wins coming between 1974 and 1988.
- Eintracht were beaten 2-1 by Borussia Dortmund in last season’s DFB Cup final.
- Mainz, meanwhile, have progressed beyond the last eight only once before. Bruno Labbadia’s side were beaten 4-1 by Bayer Leverkusen in the 2008/09 semi-finals.
Frankfurt: Hradecky – Salcedo, Hasebe, Willems – Da Costa, Mascarell (Fernandes 79’), Russ (c), Wolf (Fabian 68’) – Haller, Rebic (Jovic 73’)
Unused subs: Zimmermann, Chandler, Falette, Barkok
Absentees: Abraham (calf), Meier (ankle), Mandela (knee), de Guzman (shoulder), Blum (calf) Coach: Niko Kovac
Mainz: Adler – Hack (Balogun 67’), Bell (c), Diallo – Onisiwo, De Jong, Latza, Serdar (Maxim 56’), Brosinski – Quaison, Ujah (Berggreen 56’)
Unused subs: Müller, Holtmann, Donati, De Blasis
Absentees: Bungert (gluteal muscle), Gbamin (hand), Öztunali (ankle), Muto (back), Zentner (eye)
Coach: Sandro Schwarz