Goals: 1-0 Süle (o.g. 30'), 1-1 James (59'), 1-2 Lewandowski, 1-3 Tolisso /78')
With the hosts already relegated and Bayern confirmed as Bundesliga champions there was very little at stake in this game - although nobody seemed to have told Cologne that. The Billy Goats had the first chance of the game when Simon Terodde was played clean through early on, only to be denied by an excellent save by Sven Ulreich. There were further excellent opportunities for Simon Zoller and Marcel Risse, but both were wasteful with only Ulreich to beat. Cologne eventually got the lead their performance deserved when Niklas Süle inadvertently flicked into his own net from a right-wing cross. Lewandowski inevitably posed the greatest threat for Bayern before the interval but saw two goal-bound efforts saved by Timo Horn.
Jupp Heynckes was visibly frustrated with his team at the break and brought midfield schemer Thiago Alcantara on for the second half. Bayern immediately looked much sharper and equalised when James Rodriguez swept in Thomas Müller's knock-down, before Müller was the provider once again moments later in teeing up Lewandowski for his 29th Bundesliga goal of the season. Their dominance restored, Bayern never looked like conceding again and Corentin Tolisso sealed the victory with a smart finish from James' cross.
Man of the match
Müller's clever runs and elusive movement once again proved decisive here, with the Germany international twice in the right place at the right time to help turn the game on its head with two assists.
- Claudio Pizarro scored 87 of his 192 Bundesliga goals in a Bayern shirt. He won the Bundesliga six times in his two stints with the club.
- Süle has now scored three own goals this season, more than any other player in the league.
- Lewandowski started his first away game in the Bundesliga in 2018 here; the previous occasion was in Stuttgart on Matchday 17.
- The Polish striker netted his 150th competitive goal in his 193rd outing for Bayern.
- Jannes Horn made his first appearance since Matchday 24 for Cologne.
- James has scored five of his seven Bundesliga goals away from home.
Cologne: T. Horn – Risse, Maroh, Heintz, J. Horn – Clemens (Jojic 82'), Koziello, Höger, Hector (c) –Zoller (Cordoba 71'), Terodde (Pizarro 79')
Unused subs: Kessler, Sörensen, Osako, Özcan
Absentees: Mere (suspended), Lehmann (arm), Guirassy (ankle)
Coach: Stefan Ruthenbeck
Bayern: Ulreich – Kimmich, Süle, Hummels, Rafinha – Rudy, Martinez – Müller (c) (Tolisso 74'), James, Evina (Thiago 46') – Lewandowski (Wagner 77')
Unused subs: Starke, Mai, Götze, Dorsch
Absentees: Neuer (foot), Boateng (adductor), Vidal (knee), Coman (ankle), Robben (groin)
Coach: Jupp Heynckes
Watch: James on Bayern's Champions League exit and looking to next season!