Marco Reus scored his 100th Bundesliga goal as Borussia Dortmund recovered from conceding a goal in the first minute to come from behind and beat RB Leipzig 4-1 in the final match of the season's opening weekend.
Goals: 0-1 Augustin (1'), 1-1 Dahoud (21'), 2-1 Sabitzer (o.g. 40'), 3-1 Witsel (43'), 4-1 Reus (90')
The supporters inside the sold-out Signal Iduna Park barely had time to take their seats before the home side’s defence was breached, with only 31 seconds on the clock when Jean-Kevin Augustin held off Manuel Akanji to slide a smart finish past Roman Bürki. The hosts were stunned, but by the end of the half, it was the visitors that were left shaking their heads after a three-goal blitz put BVB in command at the break.
Mahmoud Dahoud drew them level with a fine glancing header, before Reus’ teasing free-kick was headed into his own net by the luckless Marcel Sabitzer, and Axel Witsel then joined in the goalscoring, following up on a rebound to make it 3-1. Having seized control of the match, Dortmund set about keeping the visitors at arm’s length in the second period, with Bürki saving well from Lukas Klostermann. Timo Werner came off the bench to try to change things for the away side, but the Germany international saw a fierce shot well kept out by Bürki, with the imperious Reus providing the finishing touch with a slick finish from substitute Jadon Sancho’s pass.
- Reus has now scored 100 Bundesliga goals.
- As he did with in the DFB Cup, Witsel marked his Bundesliga debut with a goal.
- Augustin's goal was the first time a Leipzig player had scored in the first minute of a Bundesliga game. The Frenchman has scored in all three league appearances against BVB.
- Dahoud's goal was his first in the Bundesliga since April 2017, when he netted for Borussia Mönchengladbach against Hoffenheim.
- Lucien Favre oversaw his first Bundesliga win since May 2015, and his 103rd overall.
- Ralf Rangnick’s record in Bundesliga matches against Dortmund reads W3, D4, L8. Favre was facing Leipzig for the first time.
Dortmund: Bürki - Piszczek, Akanji, Diallo, Schmelzer (Guerreiro 87') - Witsel, Delaney, Dahoud - Pulisic (Sancho 77'), Philipp (Wolf 69'), Reus (c)
Unused Subs: Hitz, Zagadou, Hakimi, Götze
Absentees: Bruun Larsen (foot)
Coach: Lucien Favre
Leipzig: Gulacsi - Klostermann, Konate, Upamecano, Saracchi - Sabitzer (Werner 46'), Demme (c) (Bruma 85'), Kampl, Forsberg - Augustin (Cunha 72'), Poulsen
Unused Subs: Müller, Orban, Ilsanker, Laimer
Absentees: Halstenberg (cruciate ligament)
Coach: Ralf Rangnick
Watch: Axel Witsel reflects on his sensational debut goal