- Bremen without a point after three games.
- Mainz recorded first win on Sunday.
- Viktor Skripnik replaced by Alexander Nouri as Bremen coach.
Werder parted ways with coach Viktor Skripnik in the wake of their 4-1 defeat toBorussia Mönchengladbach on Matchday 3, which left Werder without a point at the foot of the Bundesliga. Only new signing Serge Gnabry’s first goal for the club provided much in the way of positive news.
Mainz go into the meeting at the Weser Stadium in better form, having earned their first win of the season when beating FC Augsburg 3-1 on Matchday 3.
- Bremen have started a season with four consecutive competitive defeats for the first time.
- Hans-Jürgen Dörner was the last Bremen coach to be dismissed three matches into a Bundesliga season (1997/98).
- Werder have conceded a league-high 12 goals after three matches.
- Mainz duo Jhon Cordoba and Yoshinori Muto scored their second Bundesliga goals in as many games on Matchday 3.
- Mainz have conceded seven goals in the Bundesliga so far this season and are yet to keep a clean sheet.
- The 05ers are winless in their last four meetings with Bremen (D2, L2).