- Köln only six points clear of relegation play-off place.
- Mainz still in with a shout of a top-four finish.
- Matchday 20's conclusion promises to be a cracker.
In an unexpected battle against the drop, 1. FC Köln could ease any lingering relegation worries with a positive result against Europe-chasing 1. FSV Mainz 05 on Sunday afternoon (kick-off: 17:30CEST/15:30GMT).
Mainz picked up a good point at VfL Wolfsburg last week, with Jairo Samperio finding the net for the seventh time this season in a 1-1 draw. Martin Schmidt's men still have a real chance of UEFA Champions League qualification for the first time in club history, but must first overcome a resilient Köln outfit.
That said, the Billy Goats gave been struggling of late, and the derby defeat to Bayer 04 Leverkusen on Matchday 29 means that it is only one win in seven games for Peter Stöger's side, who are now only six points clear of the relegation play-off spot.
Matchday 13 rewind: Köln 0-0 Mainz
In the contest of the league’s two carnival clubs, Köln and Mainz played out a goalless draw at the RheinEnergieSTADION on Matchday 13.
Matchday 30 - match stats
- Köln are under pressure for points after a run of four straight defeats at home.
- These two sides have met 11 times in the Bundesliga, with neither having been able to record an away win.
- Köln have failed to score in their last four meetings with Mainz (0-4, 0-0, 0-2 and 0-0).
- Lukas Podolski, now of Galatasaray AS, was the last Köln player to score against Mainz in the league, way back on 13 December 2011 in a 1-1 draw.
- Loris Karius and Timo Horn are the youngest first-choice goalkeepers in the Bundesliga.
- Köln have taken just ten points from their last 12 away matches.
- The Billy Goats’ only win on the road in that time came at bottom club Hannover 96 on Matchday 26.
Mainz: Karius - Brosinski, Balagun, Bell, Bussmann - Baumgartlinger, Latza - Clemens, Malli, Jairo - Cordoba
Absentees: Curci (calf), Soto (light training), Serder (muscular), Muto (knee), Berggreen (rehabilitation)
Coach: Martin Schmidt
Köln: Horn - Risse, Maroh, Heintz, Hector - Lehmann, Vogt - Zoller, Gerhardt, Mladenovic - Modeste
Absentees: Sörensen (muscular), Bittencourt (suspended)
Coach: Peter Stöger