Wolfsburg - The weekend's action begins with a bang on Matchday 3, as VfL Wolfsburg welcome FC Schalke 04 to the Volkswagen Arena (kick-off 20:30 CEST).
The Wolves have flattered to deceive so far, labouring to victory on Matchday 1 before rescuing a point at 1. FC Köln a week later. Schalke enjoyed the perfect start to the season with a 3-0 win at SV Werder Bremen, but stumbled somewhat to draw with SV Darmstadt 98 on Matchday 2.
bundesliga.com previews this clash between two of the division's heavyweights...
- Four points from two games represents Wolfsburg’s best start to a season for six years.
- Also on four points, Schalke are enjoying their best start for three years.
- Wolfsburg are winless in three against Schalke, their longest unsuccessful period against the Royal Blues.
- Despite being on the pitch for just 58 minutes in all competitions this term, Nicklas Bendtner has scored three goals, finding the net on average every 19 minutes.
- Schalke are averaging 19 shots on goal per game at present after averaging 12 last season.
- Schalke head coach Andre Breitenreiter made 24 Bundesliga appearances for Wolfsburg in the late 1990s.
Casteels - Vieirinha, Naldo, Klose, R. Rodriguez - Arnold, Luiz Gustavo - De Bruyne, M. Kruse, Perisic - Dost
Absentees: Benaglio (back)
FC Schalke 04
Fährmann - Junior Caicara, Matip, Neustädter, Aogo - Choupo-Moting, Goretzka, Geis, Draxler - di Santo, Huntelaar
Absentees: Giefer (groin), Höwedes (fitness), Nastasic (achilles), Uchida (knee)