The stakes are high for both clubs when struggling TSG 1899 Hoffenhem entertain Europe-seeking VfL Wolfsburg this Saturday (kick-off 15:30CET/14:30GMT).
Hoffenheim's forward momentum was stalled by a crushing defeat at VfB Stuttgart on Matchday 25 and they will be looking to bounce straight back when they host high-flying Wolfsburg, who were in UEFA Champions League action in midweek.
The Wolves are back on the prowl after a bit of a dip in their season, and with just a handful of points separating them from a place in the Champions League again, their historic progress in Europe's elite club competition this season has whet their appetite for more, with a win in Sinsheim just what they need to keep up their charge.
Goals: 1-0 Kruse (1'), 2-0 Dost (9'), 2-1 Toljan (29', 2-2 Schmid (54'), 3-2 Kruse (62'), 4-2 Kruse (83')
Matchday 26 – match facts
- Hoffenheim fell to their heaviest defeat of the season against Stuttgart last time out, having not conceded five goals in a game in the current campaign.
- Wolfsburg have won two games in a row again for the first time in four months
- Hoffenheim have occupied one of the bottom two positions for the past 18 Matchdays.
- Wolfsburg have failed to win any of their last four matches which have come after they were involved in a midweek Champions League game.
- Hoffenheim have yet to drop any points at home under Julian Nagelsmann.
- Wolfsburg no longer have the worst away record in the league, thanks to their recent 4-0 win in Hanover.
- Hoffenheim have never scored more goals in a single Bundesliga game than in their 6-2 win over Wolfsburg two years ago.
- Andre Schürrle won all ten games he has played against Hoffenheim.
- Koen Casteels started his Bundesliga career with Hoffenheim and conceded 86 goals in 39 games for TSG.
Hoffenheim: Baumann - Schär, Süle, Bicakcic - Kaderabek, Ochs - Schwegler - Amiri - Hamad - Uth, Kramaric
Absentees: Elyounoussi (knee), Strobl (knee), Ochs (calf), Rudy (suspended), Polanski (suspended)
Wolfsburg: Casteels - Träsch, Knoche, Dante, Rodriguez - Luiz Gustavo - Guilavogui, Arnold - Draxler - Schürrle, Kruse
Absentees: Jung (knee), Naldo (knee), Dost (toe), Benaglio (rib), Ascues (light training)