Mainz's ambitions of emulating last term's sixth-place finish have faded, and Martin Schmidt's men — with just six points the difference between them and 16th place — are currently more concerned with the dark days of the drop than the floodlit nights of the UEFA Europa League.
The winter break seems to have done them good, however, with nine points and just two losses coming from seven games since the restart, a record Darmstadt would love to have. Eleven points adrift of 16th, Torsten Frings' men have won just once — albeit against Borussia Dortmund — in 2017, losing their last three.
- Darmstadt’s 12-point tally is the worst of any Bundesliga team after 23 matches since the introduction of the three-point rule.
- Tasmania Berlin are the only team in Bundesliga history to have suffered more Bundesliga defeats after 23 matches than Darmstadt. The Lilies have lost 17 times already this season.
- Darmstadt have conceded seven penalties this season, including one in each of the last three matches.
- Mainz won the reverse fixture 2-1, a game in which three penalties were awarded.
- No Bundesliga team has ever been relegated with Mainz’s current points tally at this stage in a season (29).
- Mainz midfielder Danny Latza made 73 third-division appearances for Darmstadt between 2011-13.