- Gladbach target European finish after recent revival.
- Sides set to meet in UEFA Europa League last 16 following Bundesliga clash.
- Stindl in fine form for the hosts.
Goals in the second half from Lars Stindl and Andre Hahn helped the Foals to a 2-0 win at Ingolstadt, with captain Stindl in inspired form throughout. Such is the transformation in their fortunes since Dieter Hecking took over that, after four wins in their last five outings, Gladbach sit just six points off sixth place with 12 matches of the season remaining.
Schalke would have gone above Gladbach on Matchday 22, but they let an early lead slip to eventually draw 1-1 with Hoffenheim. Markus Weinzierl’s side are unbeaten in the last four in the Bundesliga, and face the Gladbach again just five days later in the first leg of their all-Bundesliga UEFA Europa League last 16 tie.
- The two sides will face each other five and then 12 days following this Bundesliga match-up in the Europa League.
- Gladbach have lost their last two home games - in the Europa League against Fiorentina and to Leipzig in the Bundesliga.
- Both teams are still in the lower half of the table after 22 matches.
- Schalke won the first meeting this season 4-0, having lost their first five games of the campaign before then.
- Gladbach have won seven of the last eight Bundesliga home games against Schalke, including the last three.
- Holger Badstuber’s only goal in the Bundesliga came against Gladbach, when he was with Bayern Munich, on 4 December 2009.