- Leverkusen in good form after wins over Eintracht Frankfurt and Augsburg.
- Mainz have one win in six matches.
- Leverkusen won the reverse fixture 3-2 in September.
Leverkusen were beaten by Club Atletico de Madrid in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday, but they are in good form in the Bundesliga. Roger Schmidt’s side have won their last two matches and in the process scored six goals – including four from Matchday 20 and 21 MVP Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez. The Mexican also netted a hat-trick against Mainz earlier in the season. With Leverkusen only four points off the European places, Schmidt and his side will be keen to put that 4-2 defeat to Atletico behind them.
Following a 2-0 win over Augsburg on Matchday 20, Mainz lost by the same scoreline at home to Werder Bremen last time out. The 05ers, who are 12th in the table, will be eager to close the six-point gap that stands between them and Leverkusen, although the visitors have lost their last six away matches.
- Leverkusen have scored three goals in two consecutive league matches for the first time this season.
- The home side have not yet won three Bundesliga matches in a row this season.
- Hernandez has scored five Bundesliga goals in 2017. That is more than the whole Mainz team have managed (a league low, along with Darmstadt, of three in five games).
- Mainz have only earned eight points in their last 10 matches. In this period only bottom club Darmstadt have been more unsuccessful (four points).
- The 05ers have conceded 37 goals after 21 Matchdays. That is a club-record high.
- In their last three away matches, the visitors have not scored a goal. If that run extends to four games, it would be another club record.