- Wolfsburg win needed to steady sinking ship.
- Hoffenheim back on track after recent slip-up.
- Nagelsmann hoping for ideal anniversary gift.
Their mini-revival checked by successive Bundesliga losses in recent weeks, Wolfsburg are presently wading through a tricky patch. Coach Valerien Ismael – who has lost seven of his twelve top-flight matches at the helm of the Wolves – needs to inspire a turnaround to help steer the 2009 champions away from an unwanted relegation dogfight.
The hosts' fortunes contrast starkly to those of visiting Hoffenheim, who breezed past 1. FSV Mainz 05 with a season-high equalling 4-0 win on Matchday 19, a result that softened the blow of recently losing their lengthy unbeaten Bundesliga run. Visiting tactician Julian Nagelsmann travels to the Volkswagen Arena a year and a day since taking over at the Sinsheim-based club, yet will no doubt put any anniversary celebrations on hold unless points are picked up.
- With 19 points from as many games, Wolfsburg have the lowest tally in their history at this stage of a season.
- Goalkeeper Diego Benaglio can become Wolfsburg's all-time leading Bundesliga appearance holder on Matchday 20.
- Six Yunus Malli corners have produced goals - a league high in 2016/17.
- Nagelsmann's record at the Hoffenheim helm reads: P33, W15, D12, L6.
- Hoffenheim matched their highest winning margin of the Nagelsmann era in the 4-0 win over Mainz last time out.
- The corresponding fixture on Matchday 3 finished scoreless.