Mönchengladbach – It was not the start to the season that either Borussia Mönchengladbach or 1. FSV Mainz 05 were hoping for, and both will be keen to put Matchday 1 well and truly behind them when they meet at Borussia-Park this Sunday (kick-off 17:30 CEST / 15:30 GMT).
The Foals – one of the sides tipped to challenge FC Bayern München this season – suffered something of a rude awakening at Borussia Dortmund last weekend, while Mainz felt the full force of the league's newcomers FC Ingolstadt 04. Having licked their wounds, it is time to put those first points on the board. bundesliga.com assesses their chances...
- Mönchengladbach were beaten by Borussia Dortmund on Matchday 1, but the last time the Foals lost both their first two league games was seven years ago.
- Borussia have won nine of their last ten home league matches.
- Both these teams struggled in attack on Matchday 1, only managing three shots each from inside the opposition penalty area.
- On average, Gladbach have conceded more goals against Mainz than any other current Bundesliga side (1.1 per game).
- Mainz have failed to beat Gladbach in eight attempts (three draws, five defeats) - against no other club have the 05ers been waiting as long for a league victory.
- The Foals have taken a 1-0 lead in each of their nine home league games Mainz.
- Ibrahima Traore has been on the losing side in four of his five appearances against the carnival club (four defeats with Stuttgart, one draw with Gladbach).
Possible line-up: Sommer - Jantschke, M. Schulz, Christensen, Wendt - Stindl, Xhaka - Traore, Herrmann - Raffael - Drmic
Absentees: Dominguez (back), Johnson (muscle tear), Nordtveit (suspended)
Possible line-up: Karius - Brosinski, Bungert, Bell, J.-H. Park - Frei, Baumgartlinger - Clemens, Malli, Muto - Niederlechner
Absentees: Beister (Knee), Soto (knee)