- Köln edge Wolfsburg.
- Modeste with late winner from the spot.
- Billy Goats on course for Europe.
Goals: 1-0 Modeste (p.g. 81')
Wolfsburg had much of the first-half possession, but failed to test Thomas Kessler in the home goal. Yuya Osako – voted Bundesliga Player of the Month for January – nearly bagged his third goal in two games towards the end of the half but his effort fizzed wide.
Konstantin Rausch curled a corner kick against the Wolves' crossbar at the start of the second half before Luiz Gustavo headed over at the other end, but Modeste would have the final word, earning a penalty which he then converted for to earn all three points for the hosts.
Man of the Match
Osako was Köln's most dangerous player, and after his goal and two assists last time out – in what was the Billy Goats’ biggest win since 1990 – is visibly high on confidence. But for a matter of inches, he would have added a fifth goal of the campaign here.
Köln are looking like contenders for the European places once again following last Saturday's 6-1 thrashing of SV Darmstadt 98. They were made to work by Wolfsburg, but the result was never really in doubt, and seven points from three games in 2017 augurs well.
- Modeste draws level with FC Bayern München's Robert Lewandowski on 15 Bundesliga goals this term, one behind Borussia Dortmund's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
- Köln are enjoying their best start to a season in 26 years, with 32 points from 19 games.
- Mario Gomez failed to score for the first time in four games for Wolfsburg.
Köln: Kessler - Olkowski, Sörensen, Heintz, Rausch - Höger, Hector (c) - Clemens (Zoller 62'), Bittencourt (Özcan 72') - Modeste, Osako (Maroh 86')
Coach: Peter Stöger
Wolfsburg: Benaglio (c) - Seguin, Bruma, Rodriguez, Gerhardt - Gustavo, Guilavogui (Ntep 86') - Vieirinha (Mayoral 85'), Arnold, Malli - Gomez
Coach: Valerien Ismael