- Hoffenheim extend unbeaten start to the season to 14 league games.
- Frankfurt now eight Bundesliga matches without defeat.
- Both teams tied on 26 points.
Sent off: Chandler (82')
Level on points going into this game, the first half was a fiercely contested affair with both sides determined to earn a win that would cement their place in fourth in the standings. Hoffenheim enjoyed more possession but Frankfurt had the better chances, with Alex Meier and Mascarell drawing fine saves from visiting goalkeeper Oliver Baumann. Hoffenheim did have the ball in the net just before the interval but Benjamin Hübner's header from a free-kick was ruled out for offside.
The second half was equally intense and there were countless full-blooded tackles in midfield as the teams sought to impose themselves. While that made for an entertaining spectacle, there were few real goalscoring opportunities at either end. Momentum swung Hoffenheim's way late on when Frankfurt's Timothy Chandler was sent off, but the visitors were unable to make the most of it as the match ultimately ended goalless.
Man of the match
Baumann's saves were crucial for Hoffenheim, who did not look as solid defensively as they have in recent weeks. The 26-year-old was alert throughout and deserved to keep his fifth clean sheet of the season.
The draw means Hoffenheim remain unbeaten in the league this season and stay ahead of Frankfurt in the table on goal difference alone.
- Frankfurt's starting XI had an average age of 28, their oldest of the season so far.
- Haris Seferovic was in the Frankfurt starting line-up for the first time since 1 October 2016.
- Hoffenheim duo Hübner and Lukas Rupp each won more tackles (18) than anyone else on the pitch.
Frankfurt: Hradecky - Chandler, Abraham, Vallejo, Oczipka - Mascarell, Hasebe – Huszti (Hector 85'), Meier (c), Fabian (Gacinovic 90+3'), Seferovic (Rebic 61')
Coach: Niko Kovac
Hoffenheim: Baumann - Süle, Vogt, Hübner - Polanski (c) (Schwegler 84') – Kaderabek (Zuber 73'), Rupp, Toljan – Kramaric (Uth 60'), Wagner, Amiri
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann