Goals: 1-0 Süle (17’), 2-0 Müller (20’), 2-1 Lukebakio (44’), 3-1 Müller (58’), 3-2 Lukebakio (77’), 3-3 Lukebakio (90+3’)
Hoping for some sort of Klassiker hangover from Bayern, Fortuna attacked hard and fast in the opening minutes as Lukebakio and Takashi Usami tested Manuel Neuer from range. Bayern rode the storm, however, and got their noses in front when Niklas Süle slammed into the bottom corner after Fortuna failed to clear a Renato Sanches corner. Thomas Müller expertly dispatched Jerome Boateng’s trademark long ball to give Bayern breathing space, but a defensive mix-up gifted Fortuna a route back in the game, with Lukebakio sweeping in unmarked on the stroke of half-time.
Bayern must have thought they were home and hosed when Müller curled in his second of the afternoon following a sensational piece of hold-up play from Robert Lewandowski - but Fortuna refused to lie down. Three very presentable changes came and went, before Lukebakio coolly dodged the offside trap and beat Neuer one-on-one to set up a grandstand finish; the goal allowed to stand following consultation with the VAR. Uncharacteristic misses from Lewandowski proved costly as Lukebakio completed his hat-trick in added time with a virtual carbon copy of his second.
- Lukebakio is Fortuna's top scorer this season, with nine goals in all competitions (five in the Bundesliga, four in the DFB Cup). He is the first Bundesliga player since Ebbe Sand (Schalke) in 2001 to score a hat-trick against Bayern.
- All three of Süle's Bundesliga goals for Bayern have come at home.
- Müller ended a run of 561 Bundesliga minutes without a goal.
- Süle has completed 94 per cent of his attempted passes across the season.
- Lewandowski has scored against 17 of the Bundesliga's 18 current clubs. Only Fortuna are missing from the list.
- Wooyeong Jeong and Jonathan Meier, both 19, made the Bayern bench. Neither has played competitive first-team football before.
Bayern: Neuer (c) - Kimmich, Süle, Boateng, Alaba - Martinez – Goretzka, Müller (Hummels 90+1'), Renato Sanches (Rafinha 80'), Ribery (Robben 70') – Lewandowski
Unused subs: Ulreich, Wagner, Jeong, Meier
Absentees: Gnabry (adductor), Thiago, Coman (fitness), Tolisso (knee), James (knee)
Coach: Niko Kovac
Düsseldorf: Rensing – Zimmermann, Bormuth, Kaminski, Gießelmann – Zimmer, Bodzek (Hennings 85'), Fink (c), Stöger, Usami (Raman 70') – Lukebakio
Unused subs: Theißen, Morales, Ducksch, Karaman, Nielsen
Absentees: Contento (knee), Hoffmann (concussion), Wiesner (pelvis)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel
Watch: Robben: "Bayern cannot concede three"