The Bundesliga leaders burst out of the traps at the Allianz Arena, hitting the crossbar through Arturo Vidal with just three minutes on the clock. Robert Lewandowski and James Rodriguez both went close before Jerome Boateng eventually put Bayern in front just past the ten-minute mark, heading home on the rebound after Roman Bürki had saved Niklas Süle’s header. BVB nearly restored parity when Andrey Yarmolenko’s goal-bound effort was cleared off the line, but the visitors found themselves two goals down when Thomas Müller dinked a lovely finish over the onrushing Bürki five minutes before the interval.
Müller very nearly grabbed his second of the game minutes after the restart, but Bürki was equal to the Germany international’s powerful header. BVB didn’t let their heads drop, though, and pulled a goal back with 13 minutes remaining when Yarmolenko headed Shinji Kagawa’s teasing cross past a stranded Sven Ulreich. Substitute Alexander Isak’s deflected effort very nearly sent the tie into extra-time, but the hosts held on to seal their place in the quarter-finals.
- Boateng netted his first Bayern goal in 75 appearances on Wednesday.
- Stöger's record against Bayern as a head coach now reads D1, L6.
- Lewandowski has scored nine goals in 14 appearances in all competitions against former club Dortmund.
- Bayern put five past Chemnitz in the first round, before last time out.
- Bayern have won the DFB Cup a record 18 times, beating four-time winners Dortmund in the final on three occasions.
- Dortmund beat minnows Rielasingen-Arlen 4-0 and third-tier Magdeburg 5-0 in their first and second rounds respectively.
Bayern: Ulreich - Kimmich, Boateng, Süle, Alaba - Martinez (Rudy 87'), Vidal - Müller (c), James (Tolisso 75'), Ribery (Coman 61') - Lewandowski
Unused subs: Starke, Rafinha, Bernat, F. Götze
Absentees: Neuer (foot), Thiago (thigh), Robben (rested)
Coach: Jupp Heynckes
Dortmund: Bürki - Toprak, Sokratis, Bartra (Dahoud 34') - Toljan (Isak 88'), Weigl, Guerreiro (Schürrle 56'), Schmelzer (c) - Kagawa - Pulisic - Yarmolenko
Unused subs: Weidenfeller, Zagadou, Subotic, Sahin
Absentees: Durm (hip), Piszczek (knee), Castro (ankle ligaments), M. Götze (ankle ligaments), Reus (knee ligaments), Rode (pelvis), Philipp (knee)