Bayern Munich are well in control of their UEFA Champions League round of 16 tie against Besiktas after recording a 5-0 victory in the first leg on Tuesday night.
Bayern Munich 5-0 Besiktas
Goals: 1-0 Müller (43'), 2-0 Coman (52'), 3-0 Müller (65'), 4-0 Lewandowski (79'), 5-0 Lewandowski (88')
Sent off: Vida (16')
The first quarter of an hour was an evenly-balanced affair but the complexion of the game changed when Domagoj Vida was shown a straight red card for bringing down Robert Lewandowski, who was running clean through on goal after latching onto a loose pass by Atiba Hutchinson. Bayern subsequently dominated possession as they went in search of the opening goal, and after creating a number of promising chances they edged ahead just before half-time when Thomas Müller poked over the line from close range.
Jupp Heynckes' charges wasted little time in doubling their advantage after the break, Kingsley Coman expertly slotting home after excellent interplay between Lewandowski and Müller. Besiktas went into damage limitation mode thereafter, with striker Vagner Love going off for defender Dusko Tosic in an effort to prevent Bayern adding to the scoreline. It was little use, however, with Müller flicking in his second of the night at the near post from Joshua Kimmich's cross, before Lewandowski hit a brace late on to leave the Bundesliga leaders with one foot in the quarter-finals.
- Lewandowski has now scored 16 goals in his last 16 Champions League games.
- Kingsley Coman is Bayern’s best provider on the continent so far this season, with three assists.
- Bayern have won their last 14 games in all competitions – a record for Heynckes – including all seven games they have played so far in 2018.
- Bayern have reached at least the quarter-finals in each of the past six seasons.
- These two sides met in the 1997/98 group stage, with Bayern winning 2-0 in Istanbul and by the same scoreline in Munich's Olympiastadion.
- This is Besiktas' first ever appearance in the knockout stages of the UCL; Bayern are at this stage for the 14th time.
Watch: Bayern's treble-winning 2012/13 season - is another on the cards?
Bayern: Ulreich - Kimmich, Boateng, Hummels, Alaba – Martinez, Vidal (Tolisso 83') – Müller (c), James (Robben 44'), Coman (Ribery 81') - Lewandowski
Unused subs: Starke, Wagner, Süle, Rafinha
Absentees: Neuer (foot)
Coach: Jupp Heynckes
Besiktas: Fabri - Caner (Gökhan 69'), Pepe, Vida, Adriano - Medel (Tolgay 85'), Hutchinson - Quaresma, Talisca, Babel - Love (Tosic 57')
Substitutes: Lens, Tolgay, Oguzhan, Negredo
Absentees: Kavlak (shoulder), Atinc (knee)
Coach: Senol Gunes