Augsburg's oldest starting line-up of the year (average age 27.7) began falteringly, struggling to deal with the vivacity of Leon Bailey and Wendell in tandem down the Leverkusen left. Bailey was involved in Bayer's two best first-half attempts – both of which came before the 20-minute mark – but Charles Aranguiz and Dominik Kohr, breaking from midfield, shot wide. The visitors might not have been able to boast such sprightliness, and veteran midfielder Daniel Baier went off in some discomfort before the interval, but their deep-lying tactics largely stifled Leverkusen, with their main threat coming from Philipp Max hovering dangerously over set-pieces.
Leverkusen made an enterprising start to the second half, with Julian Brandt and Kevin Volland taking on some of Bailey's creative mantle. Having already spurned a chance from close range, Volland wasted a one-on-one with Marwin Hitz, before Brandt had the ball in the net, only for Bailey to be ruled offside in the build-up. Herrlich introduced Stefan Kießling and Kai Havertz in an effort to find the elusive opening goal, but Kießling failed to convert the one opportunity that came his way, and Bayer were forced to settle for a draw that further imperils their hopes of ending the season in a UEFA Champions League place.
- Bailey fired in the most shots (five), while Brandt created the most chances (six) of any player on the pitch - but Leverkusen failed to breach the Augsburg rearguard.
- In their last 10 Bundesliga games, Leverkusen have not scored a goal from a free-kick or corner.
- Augsburg have still never beaten Leverkusen in the Bundesliga. Their 14 meetings without a win against Leverkusen is the longest streak for any team in Bundesliga history.
- Leverkusen midfielder Kohr played for Augsburg between 2014 and 2017.
- Augsburg defender Jeffrey Gouweleeuw made his first appearance since Matchday 20.
- Leverkusen's last goalless draw on home turf came on 15 April 2017 against Bayern Munich.
Leverkusen: Leno (c) – Retsos (Henrichs 77'), Tah, S. Bender, Wendell – Baumgartlinger (Kießling 77'), Aranguiz, Kohr (Havertz 69') – Bailey, Volland, Brandt
Unused subs: Özcan, Jedvaj, Frey, Bellarabi
Absentees: Alario (suspended)
Coach: Heiko Herrlich
Augsburg: Hitz – Khedira, Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger – Schmid, Moravek (Richter 77'), Baier (c) (Cordova 39'), Max – Koo, Caiuby, Gregoritsch (Janker 71')
Unused subs: Luthe, Asta, Heller, Parker
Absentees: Framberger (ankle), Danso (knee ligaments), Finnbogason (calf)
Coach: Manuel Baum