Goals: 1-0 Finnbogason (1'), 1-1 Günter (20'), 1-2 Petersen (48'), 1-3 Petersen (61'), 2-3 Finnbogason (90'), 3-3 Finnbogason (90+2')
The contest was only 54 seconds old when Finnbogason fired Augsburg ahead after his initial effort had been well saved by Freiburg’s Alexander Schwolow. Michael Gregoritsch lashed over with the goal at his mercy as Augsburg squandered the chance to double their lead, before Freiburg left-back Christian Günter drove in an equaliser with the aid of a deflection off Martin Hinteregger.
Marwin Hitz pulled off a spate of fine saves from Yoric Ravet as Freiburg turned the screw, but the Augsburg goalkeeper was powerless to prevent Petersen stooping to turn home Tim Kleindienst's flicked header following a corner. Freiburg looked to be home and hosed when Petersen coolly rounded Hitz for his second of the afternoon, but the visitors conceded two stoppage-time Finnbogason goals as Augsburg snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat.
- Augsburg have never lost home to Freiburg in the Bundesliga (W2, D4).
- Augsburg scored in the opening minute of a game for the third time in their history. On each occasion Finnbogason was the scorer. Ten of the Iceland striker's 19 Bundesliga goals have opened the scoring.
- There has never been a 0-0 draw in 24 competitive meetings between these two clubs.
- Freiburg have picked up 11 points from their last five games, including wins in their last two.
- Günter scored his first Bundesliga goal since 8 November 2014.
- Petersen has scored in three successive Bundesliga matches for the first time in his career.
Augsburg: Hitz - Opare (Framberger 23'), Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Max - Khedira (Schmid 77'), Baier (c) - Heller (Cordova 71'), Gregoritsch, Caiuby - Finnbogason
Unused subs: Luthe, Stafylidis, Callsen-Bracker
Absentees: Thommy (ankle ligaments), Moravek (ill)
Coach: Manuel Baum
Freiburg: Schwolow - Kübler, Koch, Söyüncü, Günter – Höfler (c) - Haberer - Ravet, Terrazzino (Stanko 89') - Petersen, Kleindienst (Kath 77')
Unused subs: Gikiewicz, Ignjovski, Sierro, Schuster, Kapustka
Absentees: Gulde (back), Kempf (thigh), Lienhart (knee), Frantz (knee ligament), Niederlechner (kneecap)
Coach: Christian Streich