Dortmund - Borussia Dortmund midfielder Ilkay Gündogan has extended his contract at the club until 30 June 2016.
The 23-year-old, who has played a total of 104 Bundesliga matches, put pen to paper on a new deal on Tuesday afternoon.
“I’m very grateful to my club for giving me the chance to continue to be a part of such a special team and environment,” said the eight-time German international. “I’ll do everything I can to help my team-mates out again as quickly as possible and I’m looking forward to the coming weeks and months with a lot of optimism.”
Gündogan has been sidelined with a back injury since the very first day of the season, with his coach Jürgen Klopp confirming last week that he will not return to first-team action this season, and that he may miss the FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
However, both he and the club are now looking to make up for lost time in the 2014/15 campaign.“Given his fitness situation we’re especially pleased to award Ilkay this contract extension,” said sporting director Michael Zorc. “We hope he’ll be able to fulfill his potential for BVB next season.”