Goalkeepers Andreas Luthe and Rafal Gikiewicz stole the show at der Alten Försterei, keeping impressive clean sheets in a goalless draw between Union Berlin and Augsburg.
Florian Niederlechner sent in the first shot of the game, which was parried by an alert Luthe. At the other end, Gikiewicz was equally reactive to block Niko Gießelmann's effort after the Union midfielder ghosted in unmarked at the far post. Shortly after, Gikiewicz pushed Gießelmann's next effort onto his left-hand post. Both goalkeepers were showing off their talents with Luthe next up to stretch and turn an Iago effort behind for a corner with a fine one-handed save, before tipping a Reece Oxford header over the crossbar with his other hand as the guests took the lead in shots – six to five – in a goalless first 45 minutes.
The guests had the first shot of the second half, too, with Niederlechner's diving header going wide. Gießelmann then checked whether Gikiewicz was still alert with Union's first sighter of the second half. The woodwork was stuck for the second time in the game – and once again by Union – when Marvin Friedrich connected to a cross with his shoulder and beat Gikiewicz, but not the crossbar. Augsburg's reply was a Sergio Cordova shot, which Luthe pushed away at point-blank range, and then it was once again Gikiewicz's turn to deny Gießelmann in their personal duel. Andreas Voglsammer was the next to hit the woodwork for Union, but with both goalkeepers in such fine form and the frame standing firm, a goal was destined not to arrive as both teams took a point.
- Augsburg have been saved by the woodwork five times already this season – more than any other club.
- For the first time, Union hit the woodwork three times in a single Bundesliga fixture.
- Union are four matches unbeaten to start a season for the first time since gaining promotion to the Bundesliga in 2019.
- Niederlechner scored a career-best 13 Bundesliga goals in 2019/20, but has found the net just six times in 32 league matches since.
- Markus Weinzierl has overseen just one win in his last ten Bundesliga matches across his two spells as Augsburg coach (D4, L5).
- Augsburg are winless in their last eight away matches in the Bundesliga.
Union: Luthe - Friedrich, Knoche, Baumgartl - Trimmel (c) (Becker 86') , Möhwald (Haraguchi 22'), Khedira, Gießelmann – Öztunali (Prömel 72') - Kruse (Voglsammer 72'), Awoniyi (Ryerson 86')
Unused subs: Rönnow, Jaeckel, Behrens, Endo
Out: Oczipka (match fitness)
Coach: Urs Fischer
Augsburg: Gikiewicz - Gumny, Oxford, Gouweleeuw (c) - Dorsch (Maier 90'+1') - Framberger, Caligiuri (Jensen 78'), Hahn (Pedersen 78'), Vargas (Zeqiri 63'), Iago – Niederlechner (Cordova 63')
Unused subs: Koubek, Gregoritsch, Winther, Günther
Out: Gruezo (international duty), Moravek (groin), Strobl (ankle)
Coach: Markus Weinzierl