Dayot Upamecano and RB Leipzig host reigning Turkish champions Istanbul Basaksehir and former Bundesliga striker Demba Ba in UEFA Champions League Group H on Tuesday (9pm CEST/8pm BST/3pm ET).
Upamecano played his part as Leipzig made club history by reaching last season's Champions League semi-finals at only the second attempt, the 21-year-old defender earning his maiden France cap for his efforts. The Saxony club were only founded in 2009, but already feel like continental staples and will be quietly confident of negotiating a section that also includes beaten 2020/21 finalists Paris Saint-Germain and English Premier League outfit Manchester United. Julian Nagelsmann's side are the current Bundesliga leaders, after all. A 2-0 win over Augsburg on Saturday extended their unbeaten start to the new season to four matches, and it's worth pointing out they only lost three times in all competitions on home soil last term. Yussuf Poulsen sealed the deal from the bench against Augsburg and should start, meaning summer signing Alexander Sorloth - the 2019/20 Turkish Süper Lig's 24-goal top scorer - will probably have to wait a while longer for his full debut. That said, Nagelsmann may choose to rotate ahead of his side's weekend league meeting with Hertha Berlin. Defenders Ibrahima Konate and Willi Orban, as well as midfielder Kevin Kampl and captain Marcel Sabitzer - the latter having not played this season due to injury - could all feature.
Basaksehir's 2019/20 European adventure was ended by Copenhagen in the Europa League round of 16, and while they join Leipzig in the new campaign's Champions League as Turkish Süper Lig winners, their start to their league title defence has been underwhelming to say the least. With four points from five games following Saturday's 2-0 loss to Sorloth-less Trabzonspor, Okan Buruk's men sit 18th in the 21-team Turkish top tier. Ba, who honed his craft in the Bundesliga with Hoffenheim, has yet to score in 421 minutes of domestic action, while a defence that has former Zenit and Liverpool centre-back Martin Skrtel at its heart - has shipped six goals. To make matters worse, Beligum international Nacer Chadli is still a major doubt with the injury that has prevented him from making his debut following his summer move from Monaco. Ex-Schalke full-back Junior Caicara is expected to start, however, for a Basaksehir team playing Champions League football for the first time.
Watch: Yussuf Poulsen's wonder goal against Augsburg
- Forsberg, Poulsen and Manchester City loanee Angelino are Leipzig's top scorers this season with two goals apiece.
- Dani Olmo - on target in Leipzig's famous 2-1 win against Atletico Madrid in last season's one-legged Champions League quarter-final - heads the Bundesliga assists charts with five.
- Leipzig's Roma-owned winger Justin Kluivert scored home and away in his parent club's wins over Basaksehir in last season's Europa League group stage.
- Ba registered 40 goals and 14 assists in 106 competitive appearances for Hoffenheim between August 2007 and May 2011.
- Caicara spent the 2015/16 and 2016/17 seasons at Schalke, making 41 appearances in all competitions
- Berkay Özcan tallied one goal and three assists in 20 Bundesliga appearances for VfB Stuttgart between 2017 and 2019, and represented Hamburg in Bundesliga 2.
Leipzig: Gulacsi - Klostermann, Upamecano, Halstenberg - Mukiele, Sabitzer (c), Kampl, Angelino - Olmo, Forsberg - Poulsen
Out: Hartmann (knee), Laimer (knee)
Doubtful: Konate (match fitness)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann
Basaksehir: Günok - Caicara, Skrtel, Epureanu, Bolingoli - Visca, Tekdemir (c), Kahveci, Aleksic - Ba, Crivelli
Out: Sengezer (shoulder)
Doubtful: Azubuike (knock), Chadli (knock), Kaldirim (knock)
Coach: Okan Buruk