Kai Havertz ended a run of eight Bundesliga matches without a goal as Bayer Leverkusen kept in touch with the top five, with Kevin Volland and Julian Baumgartlinger also on target in a 4-1 win in Paderborn.
Paderborn 1-4 Bayer Leverkusen
Goals: 0-1 Volland (11'), 0-2 Volland (14'), 0-3 Baumgartlinger (36'), 1-3 Srbeny (51'), 1-4 Havertz (75')
Havertz was denied an early goal by Leopold Zingerle's reactions in the Paderborn goal, but even at full stretch, the home team's custodian could not reach Volland's header from Moussa Diaby's delightful cross as the guests took a deserved lead. It was only the second headed goal by a Leverkusen player this season, and they had to wait just three minutes for a third as Havertz hooked the ball back for Volland, once again, to nod in from close range. Another cross led to Leverkusen's third goal, although Baumgartlinger scored his first goal of the season with his right foot, turning in Karim Bellarabi's low cross to give the visitors a comfortable lead going into the break.
Paderborn needed an early goal to give them hope in the second half, and they got it through Dennis Srbeny. He started and finished the move, prodding home a loose ball after Lukas Hradecky could only parry Klaus Gjasula's effort. The goal gave Paderborn belief and they had a succession of chances to slice Leverkusen's lead in half before Havertz curled an effort wide at the other end. It was a warning of Leverkusen's permanent threat on the break, and Havertz converted another delicious Diaby cross to end his own eight-game goalscoring drought and secure the points for Die Werkself.
- Volland scored with two headers in one game for the first time, while they were Leverkusen's second and third headed goals of the season, after Lucas Alario's effort in the Hinrunde.
- Baumgartlinger scored his first Bundesliga goal in almost precisely two years, his last came on 20 January 2018 against Hoffenheim.
- Srbeny scored with his first shot in the Bundesliga, only days after arriving from Norwich City.
- Bosz has overseen 20 wins, five draws and 10 defeats since taking charge of Leverkusen in December 2018.
- Volland has scored a team-leading seven and assisted six for Leverkusen this term.
Watch: Havertz: "Starting with a win will give us a boost"
Paderborn: Zingerle – Dräger, Killian, Schonlau (c), Jans (Holtmann 46') – Pröger, Vasiliadis, Gjasula (Sabiri 59'), Antwi-Adjej – Srbeny (Mamba 66'), Michel
Unused subs: Huth, Hünemeier, Strohdiek, Ritter, Kapic, Zolinski
Out: Collins (suspended)
Coach: Steffen Baumgart
Leverkusen: Hradecky – L. Bender (c), Tah, S. Bender, Sinkgraven (Weiser 78') – Baumgartlinger, Demirbay – Bellarabi (Alario 71'), Havertz, Diaby – Volland
Unused subs: Özcan, Lomb, Retsos, Dragovic, Amiri, Pohjanpalo
Out: Aranguiz (torn calf), Bailey (suspended), Palacios (suspended), Paulinho (international duty), Wendell (suspended)
Coach: Peter Bosz
Watch: Volland: "I'm not too bad with my head!"