Mainz put clear daylight between themselves and Paderborn at the bottom of the Bundesliga table as Robin Quaison and Karim Onisiwo sealed a 2-0 win for the hosts on Saturday.
Mainz 2-0 Paderborn
Goals: 1-0 Quaison (29'), 2-0 Onisiwo (37')
Both sides flew out of the traps in Mainz, looking for a crucial three points in their respective fights for survival. The hosts made good on their early promise shortly before the half-hour mark - Quaison putting his side in front with his 12th goal of the season. The Sweden striker turned his man on the edge of the Paderborn box before arrowing a fine strike low beyond Leopold Zingerle at the near post. Quaison turned provider soon after, his reverse ball freeing Onisiwo in the visitors’ box to double Mainz’s lead in what were miserably wet conditions at the Opel Arena.
The sun popped its head out for the second half, with Steffen Baumgart's men in desperate need of a dramatic turnaround to ensure they didn't end the day nine points adrift of Mainz in the safety of 15th. But they struggled to break down Achim Beierlorzer's well-drilled outfit, highlighting Paderborn's away struggles that has seen them win just twice on their travels this season. There were few chances of note after the break, with neither team able to carve out clear-cut openings. As a result, Mainz were able to see out a fourth home win of the season that moves them four points clear of Fortuna Düsseldorf in the relegation playoff place, while Paderborn remain bottom and five points adrift of Fortuna.
- Mainz are undefeated in their six meetings with Paderborn across Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2, winning four and drawing two with an aggregate score of 18-5.
- Quaison has now done the double over Paderborn, having scored the third of his team-high 12 goals this season as Mainz won October's reverse fixture 2-1.
- This was only Mainz's third clean sheet of the season, but also the second in their last three matches.
- Paderborn have taken nine points from a possible 36 on their travels this season. Only Eintracht Frankfurt have fared worse on the road (seven points).
- Basement-dwelling Paderborn aren't bottom for want of trying. Steffen Baumgart's men have covered 1,771 miles, more than any other team in the league.
Mainz: Zentner – Pierre-Gabriel (Kunde 64'), Bruma, Niakhate (c), Mwene – Öztunali (Fernandes 74'), Baku, Barreiro – Quaison – Mateta (Szalai 84'), Onisiwo
Unused subs: Müller, Aaron, Boëtius, Latza, Dong-won, Brosinski
Out: Bell (ankle), Hack (ankle)
Coach: Achim Beierlorzer
Paderborn: Zingerle – Jans (Michel 72'), Strohdiek, Schonlau (c), Collins – Vasiliadis, Gjasula (Sabiri 56'), Fridjonssen – Pröger, Srbeny, Antwi-Adjei (Jastrzembski 56')
Unused subs: Huth, Hünemeier, Ritter, Dräger, Zolinski, Holtmann
Out: Killian (hamstring), Mamba (knee)
Coach: Steffen Baumgart