Werder Bremen have announced that USMNT international Josh Sargent has extended his contract with the club.
The 19-year-old forward, who made his first start for the Bundesliga club on Friday night, has committed his long-term future to the northern Germany club, whom he joined from St. Louis Scott Gallagher in Missouri almost a year ago to the day.
"I'm really honoured," said Sargent, who has scored twice in nine Bundesliga outings. "This contract extension also shows the club's faith in me. I've felt at home in Bremen since day one with Werder and I'm looking forward to the coming years."
Watch: Josh Sargent starts Bundesliga adventure with a bang
Sargent has also scored seven goals in 12 games for Bremen's reserves this season, but is now a fixed member of the first-team and is continuing to impress head coach Florian Kohfeldt.
"Anybody who knows Josh in the dressing room, in training or in matches can see that not only is he a talented young player, but also somebody with a keen eye and willingness to learn," said Kohfeldt.
"I'm convinced that Josh can be a very important part of our squad."
Sargent, who scored on his USMNT debut in May, 2018, and did the same again on his Bremen bow – after just two minutes on the field – was named U.S. Soccer Young Male Player of the Year in 2018 and is benefitting from the Bundesliga's belief in young prospects. Together with the likes of Weston McKennie, Jadon Sancho and Reiss Nelson, he is being given the chance to showcase his talent at the very highest level, and Bremen are pleased with what they have seen so far.
"We're really happy with Josh's progress," said Bremen's general manager Frank Baumann. "His future belongs at Werder and that's why we're delighted to be accompanying him through the coming years."