Ex-Liverpool striker Taiwo Awoniyi scored for the third straight game as Union Berlin shared four goals with Hoffenheim at the PreZero Arena.
Union showed no signs of a UEFA Europa Conference League hangover following their 4-0 win over KuPS in Helsinki on Thursday. The contest was only 10 minutes old when the capital club forged ahead, Niko Gießelmann firing in after his initial header had been blocked by Oliver Baumann. Kevin Akpoguma headed in from Angelo Stiller to bring Hoffenheim level soon after, before Max Kruse fired against the woodwork from fully 30 yards. Baumann denied Awoniyi one-on-one and Andreas Luthe beat away a speculative strike from Jacob Bruun Larsen, who went one better with his next attempt. The Dane collected a quite brilliant pass from Andrej Kramaric, before squeezing his strike beyond Luthe to give Hoffenheim the lead for the first time.
Hoffenheim's narrow advantage was cancelled out within 120 seconds of the restart, though. Baumann could only parry Awoniyi's stinging strike back to the Nigerian, who made no mistake on the rebound. The all-out offensive continued apace as Kruse combined with Awoniyi, only for his goal-bound effort to be pushed wide by Baumann's steel-like right hand. Hoffenheim went straight up the other end with substitute Georginio Rutter, but Sebastian Rudy was unable to keep his shot down. Baumann thwarted Rani Khedira at close quarters with the last meaningful opportunity of a thoroughly entertaining encounter, Hoffenheim climbing into the top three and Union likewise extending their unbeaten start - despite Marvin Friedrich's late sending off for a second yellow card.
- Awoniyi has four goals and two assists to show for Union's first four competitive matches of the season.
- Kramaric has scored (six), assisted (six) or both in seven successive Bundesliga matches.
- Bruun Larsen has scored in successive Bundesliga matches for the first time since September 2018.
- Hoffenheim are enjoying the longest unbeaten run of all 18 current Bundesliga teams (nine matches).
- Kruse's assisted two in as many Bundesliga games in 2021/22.
- Union are winless in seven away Bundesliga outings, and have claimed just four points from a possible 21 on the road dating back to March 2021.
Watch: Kramaric: "It's nice to be Mr. Assist!"
Hoffenheim: Baumann - Akpoguma, Posch, Vogt (c), Raum - Rudy (Samassekou 79'), Stiller - Baumgartner (Gacinovic 79'), Kramaric, Bruun Larsen (Adamyan 62') - Dabbur (Rutter 62')
Unused subs: Pentke, Bogarde, Geiger, John, Skov
Out: Bebou (match fitness), Belfodil (thigh), Bicakcic (knee), Grillitsch (muscular), Hübner (ankle), Kaderabek (calf), Nordtveit (thigh)
Coach: Sebastian Hoeneß
Union: Luthe - Friedrich (c), Knoche, Jaeckel - Ryerson, Khedira, Haraguchi (Teuchert 85'), Gießelmann (Trimmel 69') - Ingvartsen (Öztunali 60'), Kruse - Awoniyi (Voglsammer 69')
Unused subs: Rönnow, Baumgartl, Griesbeck, Behrens, Becker
Out: Dajaku (match fitness), Prömel (match fitness)
Coach: Urs Fischer