Rouwen Hennings scored to cancel out Andrej Kramaric's first-half penalty as Fortuna Düsseldorf secured a welcome share of the spoils against high-flying Hoffenheim.
Hoffenheim 1-1 Fortuna Düsseldorf
Goals: 1-0 Kramaric (pen. 16'), 1-1 Hennings (47')
Fortuna started the brighter of the two sides at Hoffenheim's Wirsol Rhein-Neckar Arena, with Hennings stinging Oliver Baumann's gloves with the first attack of the game. Julian Nagelsmann's side soon settled into their groove, though, and pulled ahead just past the quarter-hour when Kramaric stroked home from the penalty spot after being felled by Adam Bodzek. Hoffenheim bossed possession for the remainder of the half and nearly doubled their lead when Nico Schulz crossed for fellow wing-back Joshua Brenet at the back post, but the Dutchman saw his header palmed away by Baumann's opposite number, Michael Rensing, and the sides went in for the break with the score at 1-0.
The second half was only a few minutes old when Fortuna got back on level terms, though. Kevin Stöger swung a cross in from the right and Hennings was on hand to head home his third goal of the campaign. Kaan Ayhan crashed another header against the Hoffenheim crossbar soon after. Fortuna coach Friedhelm Funkel brought on top scorer Dodi Lukebakio in an attempt to snatch all three points, but it was Hennings who came closest to so doing, with another late header flashing wide.
- With nine goals from 20 games, Hoffenheim's top scorer Kramaric is enjoying his most prolific season to date.
- The Croatian FIFA World Cup finalist has also scored 12 of his last 13 penalties, and each of his last seven.
- Nagelsmann is the Bundesliga's youngest coach at 31. Fortuna coach Funkel is the oldest at 65.
- Hennings has scored three Bundesliga goals this season - and four all-time - but this was his first headed goal in the German top flight.
- Of his 62 Bundesliga 2 goals, only three have been headers.
Hoffenheim: Baumann – Grillitsch, Vogt (c), Posch - Brenet (Szalai 71'), Amiri (Nelson 61'), Geiger, Demirbay, Schulz - Kramaric, Joelinton (Belfodil 75')
Unused subs: Stolz, Kaderabek, Bicakcic, Bittencourt
Out: Adams (thigh), Hübner (thigh), Rupp (knee), Nordtveit (shin), Ribeiro (South American U20 Championship)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann
Fortuna: Rensing – Zimmermann, Ayhan, Hoffmann, Gießelmann – Bodzek – Fink (c), Stöger (Bormuth 90+4'), Morales – Hennings (Karaman 84'), Ducksch (Lukebakio 68')
Unused subs: Drobny, Barkok, Suttner, Usami
Out: Contento (knee), Lovren (abdominal), Sobottka (ankle), Zimmer (thigh)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel