Jürgen Klinsmann celebrated his first win as Hertha Berlin coach as a Vladimir Darida strike was enough to see off Freiburg 1-0.
Hertha Berlin 1-0 Freiburg
Goal: 1-0 Darida (53')
Seeking his first win as Hertha coach, after a defeat and a draw, Klinsmann fielded an attack-minded team with Vedad Ibisevic recalled to make his first start in five games. The Bosnia & Herzegovina striker had the Old Lady's first shot of the game, although it was too weak to test Mark Flekken from 20 yards. Flekken continued to be the busier of the two goalkeepers and he denied Javairo Dilrosun's angled effort, the clearest opening of an otherwise tight first half in which Freiburg had much of the ball, but struggled to make any headway going forward.
Darida manufactured a goal out of nothing to break the deadlock early in the second half, exchanging passes with Davie Selke before pulling the trigger from 25 yards. Robin Koch almost replied immediately, but his header missed the far post by a matter of inches. Freiburg's reaction to falling behind was positive, with Manuel Gulde placing a volley just over, but Ibisevic almost doubled Hertha's lead midway through the second half, flashing his shot just past the right-hand post. Freiburg continued to press in search of an equaliser, with the hosts waiting for opportunities on the break, but there was no way through as Klinsmann's team held firm for their first win since the former USMNT head coach took charge at the end of November.
- Klinsmann made his professional debut as a player against Freiburg for Stuttgarter Kickers in a Bundesliga 2 in March 1982. In the top flight he scored three goals in four games.
- Freiburg coach Christian Streich named an unchanged team for the first time since September.
- Former Freiburg midfielder Darida made his 100th Bundesliga appearance for Hertha.
- Darida's third goal of the season means he has scored one more this season than he had in the past three seasons put together.
- Freiburg were unbeaten in their previous five Bundesliga matches against Hertha (W2, D3).
Watch: Klinsmann: "Things get easier when you win"
Hertha: Jarstein – Klünter, Boyata, Rekik, Plattenhardt – Lukebakio (Skjelbred 90+1'), Darida, Grujic, Dilrosun (Mittelstadt 74') – Ibisevic (c) (Wolf 74'), Selke
Unused subs: Kraft, Pekarik, Stark, Kalou, Köpke,, Maier
Coach: Jürgen Klinsmann
Freiburg: Flekken – Gulde, Koch, Heintz – Schmid (Kwon 85'), Haberer, Höfler, Günter (c) – Sallai (Grifo 57'), Petersen, Höler
Unused subs: Thiede, Schlotterbeck, Abrashi, Frantz, Borrello, Itter, Keitel
Out: Kübler (knee), Gondorf (illness), Lienhart (shoulder), Ravet (torn muscle), Schwolow (hamstring), Tempelmann (knee), Waldschmidt (knee, calf, ankle)
Coach: Christian Streich