Late goals from Sebastien Haller and Goncalco Paciencia gave Eintracht Frankfurt a dramatic win over ten-man Hoffenheim on Saturday.
Goals: 1-0 Kostic (20'), 1-1 Joelinton (42') 1-2 Belfodil (60'), 2-2 Haller (89'), 3-2 Paciencia (90+6')
Red card: Adams (65')
This season's Bundesliga top scorer Luka Jovic was only among the substitutes for Frankfurt, but the partisan home crowd will have had few complaints in the early exchanges. After Evan N'Dicka went up with eyes closed for a header he put agonisingly wide, Eintracht went ahead through Filip Kostic's in-swinging free-kick, which took a nick off Ante Rebic on its way past Oliver Baumann. Hoffenheim's goalkeeper had to be alert to keep out Sebastian Rode, but Hoffenheim gave as good as they got and were rewarded when Joelinton stuck out a boot to convert substitute Adam Szalai's sensational back heel from two yards out.
Both sides continued to attack in waves as Szalai thundered an effort against the crossbar before substitute Jovic - on at half-time for the injured Rebic - forced a decent stop from Baumann at his near post. Kasim Adams might have gone on to claim the man-of-the-match award after setting up Ishak Belfodil for a sublime second goal, but the Hoffenheim defender collected a second yellow card moments later to hand the initiative back to Frankfurt. The pressure was relentless as Baumann thwarted Makoto Hasebe and Mijat Gacinovic volleyed wide, before Sebastien Haller met Gacinovic's cross to level late on. Substitute Goncalo Paciencia missed a glorious opening, but made amends in the fifth minute of added time, powering in from Haller to complete a dramatic turnaround.
- Frankfurt are unbeaten in their first seven Rückrunde games for the first time in 29 years.
- Hoffenheim have lost just two of their last 17 Bundesliga matches.
- Rebic has now scored more goals for Frankfurt in the Bundesliga this term (9) than in his first two seasons combined (8).
- After scoring with his first shot of today's game, Joelinton is now up to seven Bundesliga goals for the season, three behind TSG's top scorer Kramaric. The two men have both had a hand in 12 goals (five assists for Joelinton, two for Kramaric).
- Paciencia scored his first Bundesliga goal.
- Hoffenheim's Alfons Amande made his Bundesliga debut.
- Haller scored his 12th goal and chipped in with his ninth assist of the Bundesliga season.
Frankfurt: Trapp – Toure (Willems 69'), Hinteregger, N'Dicka – Da Costa, Rode (Paciencia 80'), Hasebe (c), Kostic – Gacinovic – Haller, Rebic (Jovic 46')
Unused subs: Rönnow, Falette, De Guzman, Jovic, Russ
Out: Chandler (knee), Fernandes (muscular)
Coach: Adi Hütter
Hoffenheim: Baumann (c) – Brenet, Adams, Posch, Schulz – Amiri (Amande 82'), Grillitsch, Demirbay (Szalai 37') – Kramaric – Belfodil (Nelson 78'), Joelinton
Unused subs: Stolz, Otto, Wähling, Chana
Out: Bicakcic (calf), Bittencourt (ankle), Hübner (knee), Geiger (groin), Kaderabek (suspended), Rupp (knee), Vogt (hamstring)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann
Watch: Haller: "I knew Paciencia would score!"