Neither Augsburg nor Paderborn were able to build any momentum in their fight against relegation, with the teams cancelling each other out in a 0-0 draw on Matchday 28.
Bottom of the table and three points adrift of 17th-placed Werder Bremen at kick-off, Paderborn began with the look of a team determined to fight their way to safety. Yet for all the aggressive tackles and lung-busting sprints to close down opponents, the visitors also showed they can play a bit, and should have taken the lead inside five minutes when Streli Mamba fired wide with the goal at his mercy. Gerrit Holtmann also went close early on, but Augsburg goalkeeper Andreas Luthe got a fingertip to his swerving shot to send it past the post. The hosts’ threat grew as the half wore on though, with Eduard Löwen and Daniel Baier trying their luck from outside the box before Ruben Vargas headed just over from Florian Niederlecher’s teasing free-kick.
Niederlechener was involved in the first chance of the second half when he drilled a low ball across the face of goal towards Vargas, who only narrowly failed to provide the finishing touch. That seemed to spark Paderborn back into life and they very nearly opened the scoring when Holtmann flashed a low shot across goal from a tight angle that Luthe did well to tip onto a post. The Augsburg goalkeeper was called into action again shortly afterwards to produce a brilliant save from Sven Michel, who had been sent through one-on-one. Paderborn looked the most likely to score as the final whistle approached, but a combination of Luthe’s agility and tired legs in attack meant the game ended goalless, a result that leaves both frustrated in their battle against the drop.
- Augsburg captain Baier made his 300th Bundesliga appearance in this game, 272 of which have been for FCA (12 for 1860 Munich and 16 for Wolfsburg).
- This was also Augsburg's 300th top-flight match.
- Paderborn have won just one of the last eight league meetings between the two and haven't won at Augsburg since victory in Bundesliga 2 back in 2008.
- Steffen Baumgart's strugglers are winless in nine (D4, L5), and are five matches without a win away from home (D3, L2).
- Holtmann had more shots (five) than any other player on the pitch.
- Niederlechner hasn't scored in three outings against Paderborn, but has also never lost against them.
Augsburg: Luthe - Framberger, Jedvaj (Cordova 75'), Uduokhai, Max (Lichtsteiner 82') - Khedira, Baier (c) (Gruezo 67') - Vargas, Löwen (Gouweleeuw 75'), Richter (Sarenren Bazee 67') - Niederlechner
Unused subs: Koubek, Suchy, Teigl, Oxford
Out: Finnbogason (knee), Giefer (foot), Hahn (tendon), Iago (knock), Schieber (calf)
Coach: Heiko Herrlich
Paderborn: Zingerle - Jans (Zolinski 87'), Hünemeier, Schonlau (c), Collins - Vasiliadis (Ritter 87'), Gjasula (Sabiri 79'), Holtmann (Pröger 62') - Mamba (Michel 62'), Srbeny, Antwi-Adjei
Unused subs: Huth, Strohdiek, Dräger, Jastrzembski
Out: Kilian (match fitness)
Coach: Steffen Baumgart