Augsburg striker Dong-won Ji scored a brace to put a huge dent in former club Borussia Dortmund's title hopes on Friday, sealing a 2-1 win in the Matchday 24 opener.
Goals: 1-0 Ji (24'), 2-0 Ji (68'), 2-1 Alcacer (81')
The hosts were just two points above the relegation play-off place coming into this match and began with the dogged aggression of a side fighting for survival. Their early pressure forced Dortmund into some rare mistakes early on and they took full advantage in the 24th minute when Ji finished at the second attempt after a loose pass from Dan-Axel Zagadou. Lucien Favre's side went close at the other end, with Thomas Delaney volleying over from close range before Gregor Kobel made a superb save to deny Jacob Bruun Larsen.
Dortmund increased the pressure after the break as they looked to pull level, but even with captain Marco Reus back from injury, they struggled to break down Augsburg's resilient defence. The league leaders were stunned midway through the half when another poor defensive pass allowed Ji to net his second of the game, scoring with a sublime chip over Roman Bürki. Substitute Paco Alcacer pulled one back in the closing stages, but the hosts held on to record a victory that could prove hugely significant at both ends of the table.
Watch: Reus frustrated at Dortmund's missed chances
- Reus made his first Bundesliga appearance here since the Matchday 20 draw at Eintracht Frankfurt on 2 February.
- Ji now has four goals in this campaign. He has only managed more in a single season once, netting five in his debut season in 2012/13 with Augsburg.
- Ji also now has four goals against his former club Dortmund – more than he's scored against any other team.
- Alcacer hit his 13th Bundesliga goal of the season, and a record-extending 11th as a substitute. The Spaniard was on target for the first time since Matchday 16.
- This was Augsburg's first-ever home win over Dortmund in nine meetings in all competitions.
- This was just Dortmund's second league defeat of the season (W16, D6, L2). The first came at the hands of Fortuna Düsseldorf.
Augsburg: Kobel – Schmid, Khedira, Danso, Stafylidis (Teigl 17') – Koo, Baier (c) (Götze 89') – Hahn, Ji (Cordova 83'), Max – Gregoritsch
Unused subs: Giefer, Stanic, Janker, Callsen-Bracker
Out: Framberger (knee), Gouweleeuw (groin), Luthe (knee), Oxford (suspended), Schieber (muscular), Finnbogason (calf), Moravek (groin), Richter (calf)
Coach: Manuel Baum
Dortmund: Bürki – Hakimi, Akanji, Zagadou, Diallo – Witsel, Delaney (Alcacer 66') – Sancho, Reus (c) (Guerreiro 66'), Bruun Larsen (Philipp 76') – Götze
Unused subs: Hitz, Wolf, Weigl, Toprak
Out: Piszczek (heel), Schmelzer (foot), Pulisic (hamstring)
Coach: Lucien Favre
Watch: Ji "delighted" to score in win over Dortmund