Rome - Bayer 04 Leverkusen travel to Rome to face S.S Lazio in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off on Tuesday (kick-off 20:45 CEST/18:45 GMT).
Avoiding defeat is the minimum requirement for Roger Schmidt's men, who have their hearts set on making the group stages of Europe's elite club competition for the tenth time in their history. The decisive return leg takes place eight days later at the BayArena.
- Leverkusen beat FC Kobenhavn at home and away in last season's play-offs.
- Lazio have not featured in the Champions League since reaching the group stage in 2007/08.
- Leverkusen and Lazio met in the group stage of the 1999/00 Champions League, with both fixtures ending in 1-1 draws.
- Of the five Bundesliga clubs to have faced Lazio in Rome, Leverkusen are the only one to have so far avoided defeat.
- Bayer 04's record on Italian soil reads W1, D3, L3, while Lazio have never lost a competitive game at home to German opposition (W4, D1, L0).
- Lazio striker Miroslav Klose scored eight goals in 23 Bundesliga appearances against Leverkusen between 2000 and 2011 (W11, D5, L7).
- Klose is the German national team's all-time leading goalscorer on 71 goals.