- Klopp spent seven years as Dortmund head coach.
- Tuchel acknowledges Klopp's 'great work'.
- Dortmund unbeaten in 2016
Former Borussia Dortmund coach Jürgen Klopp says BVB are favourites against his Liverpool FC side in Thursday's UEFA Europa League quarter-final first leg (kick-off: 21:05CEST/19:05GMT).
The 48-year-old enjoyed seven unforgettable years as Dortmund head coach before stepping down at the end of last season, and is guaranteed a hero's welcome on his return to the club he brought back-to-back Bundesliga titles and took to the final of the 2012/13 UEFA Champions League.
What they are saying
Thomas Tuchel (Dortmund head coach): "This will be another difficult game, as were Porto and Tottenham. We need the best possible performance when we are faced with a really tough task. What Jürgen Klopp says does not factor in for us. Him calling us favourites changes nothing for us."
Jürgen Klopp (Liverpool head coach): "Dortmund have made great progress. I was lucky to get here early That gave me 20 minutes to catch up with some old friends. Tomorrow will be different. Tomorrow will be only about football. Everybody says that Borussia Dortmund are favourites for this competition and I don't disagree with that. Dortmund could still win the Bundesliga, though tomorrow is about the Europa League. If Liverpool score or if it is 0-0, that would be a desired result. I don't think we are favourites right now, but if we beat a team like Borussia Dortmund then maybe."
- Dortmund are unbeaten in 16 matches in all competitions in 2016.
- BVB faced English opposition in the Round of 16, beating Tottenham Hotspur FC 5-1 on aggregate.
- Liverpool got the better of FC Augsburg in the Round of 32, before seeing off Manchester United FC in the previous round.
- Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is this season's second highest goalscorer in the Europa League on seven goals.
- Willi Multhaup's BVB beat Bill Shankly's Liverpool 2-1 after extra time in the 1966 European Cup Winners' Cup final in Glasgow. Their overall record against the Reds reads: W1, D1, L1).
- BVB have won all four of their Europa League fixtures since the start of the knockout phase, conceding just once.
- Dortmund's overall record in 21 competitive matches against English opposition reads: W11, D4, L6.
- Liverpool's record against German opposition reads: W16, D12, L6.
- Dortmund midfielder Nuri Sahin spent five months on loan at Liverpool in 2012/13.
- Dortmund midfielder Gonzalo Castro and Liverpool counterpart Emre Can played together at Bayer 04 Leverkusen in 2013/14.
- Liverpool's Roberto Firmino scored 38 goals in 140 Bundesliga appearances for former club TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
Dortmund: Bürki - Piszczek, Hummels, Sokratis, Schmelzer - Weigl, Sahin, Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Reus - Aubameyang
Absentees: Subotic (arm)
Liverpool: Mignolet - Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno - Henderson, Can, Milner - Coutinho, Sturridge, Firmino
Absentees: Gomez (knee), Ings (knee), Lucas (thigh)