FC Augsburg welcome Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool FC in the UEFA Europa League Round of 32 on Thursday evening (kick-off: 19:00CET/18:00GMT).
Augsburg’s maiden European campaign has been a phenomenal success thus far. Thursday's hosts - fifth in the Bundesliga last season - are narrowly above the relegation zone in the current campaign, but Markus Weinzierl’s side have put their domestic difficulties behind them on the continent, beating FK Partizan Belgrade and AZ Alkmaar to join 2012 runners-up Athletic Club de Bilbao in progressing from Group L.
"These games are absolutely dream games for FCA," said general manager Stefan Reuter. "It is sensational to play Liverpool, and a highlight in the club's history."
Augsburg will be without injured captain Daniel Baier, while Ja-Cheol Koo is expected to drop back into central midfield at the expense of cup-tied winter signing Jeffrey Gouweleeuw.
- Augsburg have scored at least two goals in their last three Europa League matches.
- No player has scored more goals in this season’s competition than Augsburg forward Raul Bobadilla (six). Only Athletic Club’s Aritz Aduriz has managed as many goals as the Paraguay striker.
- Founded in 1907, Augsburg were promoted to the Bundesliga in 2010, and recorded a best-ever finish of fifth last season to qualify directly for the Europa League group stages.
- Augsburg duo Kostas Stafylidis and Dominik Kohr played alongside Liverpool midfielder Emre Can at Bayer 04 Leverkusen in the 2013/14 season, helping Bayer 04 Leverkusen to a fourth-place finish.
- Augsburg's South Korean forward Dong-Won Ji played under Klopp at Borussia Dortmund for the final six months of 2014, though he never featured for Die Schwarz-Gelben’s first team.
Augsburg: Hitz - Verhaegh (c), Janker, Klavan, Max - Kohr - Koo, Altintop, Esswein, Caiuby -Bobadilla
Liverpool: Ward – Clyne, Toure, Sakho, Smith – Henderson (c), Can, Brannagan – Ibe, Benteke, Origi