Fresh from beating FC Bayern München on Matchday 15, Borussia Mönchengladbach will bid farewell to the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday night, although are aiming for third place and the resultant UEFA Europa League football when facing Manchester City FC at the City of Manchester Stadium on Tuesday night (kick-off 20:45CET/19:45GMT).
The Foals can no longer catch their hosts, who have already qualified from Group D together with Juventus, but that does not mean it will be a dead rubber. In fact, the stakes could hardly be higher for Andre Schubert's high-flying Foals, who can still qualify for the last 32 of the Europa League, and thus extend their European adventures into the new year.
- To qualify for the Europa League, Gladbach must match or better Sevilla's result against Juventus in the other group game.
- City got the better of Gladbach at the Borussia Park earlier this season, but it was the Foals who triumphed 4-2 on aggregate on their way to UEFA Cup glory in 1979.
- In addition to their ten-game unbeaten streak in the Bundesliga, Gladbach are three games unbeaten in the Champions League.
- The Foals have yet to score a goal away from home in the Champions League, however.
- Gladbach won on their last visit to England – a 3-2 triumph over Arsenal in the 1996/97 UEFA Cup first round.
- Ibrahima Traore will miss out due to a thigh injury.
City: Hart - Sagna, Demichelis, Otamendi, Kolarov - Delph, Fernandinho - De Bruyne, Silva, Sterling - Bony
Gladbach: Sommer - Elvedi, Christensen, Nordtveit - Korb, Wendt - Dahoud, Xhaka, Johnson - Stindl, Raffael