The international friendly between Germany and the Netherlands in Hanover on Tuesday has been called off. The news was confirmed by the Hanover police force at 19:20 CEST, just under one-and-a-half hours before the match was due to kick off.
“The game has been called off,” said a police spokeswoman. Supporters were asked to ask to leave the stadium swiftly but in a calm manner and the stadium was evacuated. The Germany national team were en route to the stadium at the time the game was called off, before they were then rerouted. "We've been diverted by the police on the way to the stadium and are now at a safe place," read a tweet from the national team's Twitter account soon afterwards.
Extreme precaution taken following terror acts in Paris
Volker Kluwe, president of the Hanover police force, was quoted as saying on television channel ARD that an “attack with explosives” had been planned. "The stadium emptied promptly after the order to evacuate and is now empty. The correct steps now need to be taken,” continued Kluwe. “The teams and official are now safe. For their own safety, we advise supporters to go home.”
One hour before the decision was made to cancel the match, the police had closed off the area in front of the stadium after a suspicious object was found. Following immediate examination of the object, police gave the all-clear [for supporters to make their way to the stadium]. “The suspicious object found on Robert-Enke-Straße proved to be non-threatening," said the Hanover police force at the time.
The cancellation of the game against the third-placed side at last year’s FIFA World Cup was decided upon as the most extreme precaution in the wake of the terrorist attacks on Paris during Germany’s friendly with France at the Stade de France last Friday.