Bilbao – Following last season’s sensational fifth-placed finish in the Bundesliga, FC Augsburg travel to northern Spain to make their debut in European competition away to Athletic Club in UEFA Europa League Group L on Thursday (kick-off 21:05 CEST).
Their preparations have hardly been ideal as the Bavarians have drawn one and lost three in the league so far this term, although they did put in a strong display to go within minutes of beating regional neighbours FC Bayern München on Bundesliga Matchday 4 last weekend.
- As recently as 2012, Augsburg head coach Markus Weinzierl was in charge of German third division side Jahn Regensburg.
- Augsburg are the only team to be making their debut in the competition this season.
- Athletic have won two, drawn two and lost four of their previous matches against German teams.
- Athletic finished as runners-up in the 2011/12 Europa League campaign.
- Athletic have won one and lost two of their matches in Spain’s Primera Division so far this season.
Athletic: Iago Herrerin - Elustondo, Laporte, Eraso, Benat - De Marcos, Susaeta, Gurpegi, Aritz Aduriz – Viguera, Iñigo Lekue
Augsburg: Hitz – Verhaegh, Callsen-Bracker, Klavan, Feulner – Kohr, Baier – Esswein, Koo, Werner - Bobadilla