Frankfurt – There are several tasty micro-Bundesliga battles within the macro-context of Germany's next UEFA EURO 2016 qualifier against Poland this Friday (kick-off 20:45 CEST / 18:45 GMT), with plenty of representatives from Germany's top flight on parade in Frankfurt.
FC Bayern München forward Robert Lewandowski will be looking to put one over his own club mate Manuel Neuer, although he will still have to go one better than Thomas Müller if Poland are to succeed. "Theoretically anything's possible in football and 'Lewy' could get a hat-trick even against us, but I wouldn't bet on him doing it," said Müller, who leads 5-2 in the personal goalscoring battle with his club-mate in the Bundesliga. Indeed, that is the kind of result Germany would be keen on as they look to dislodge the Poles from the top of Group D.
bundesliga.com has all the relevant facts and figures to set the scene for Friday's crucial qualifier…
- Poland beat Germany 2-0 in the reverse fixture in Warsaw – their first win over their neighbouring country in 19 attempts.
- Germany lead the head-to-head record with 12 wins, six draws and only one defeat.
- Lewandowski is the top-scorer in EURO 2016 qualifying with seven goals.
- There are four Poland players who currently play in the Bundesliga – Przemyslaw Tyton (VfB Stuttgart), Lukasz Piszczek (Borussia Dortmund), Pawel Olkowski (1. FC Köln) and Lewandowski.
- Germany have not lost at home in a European Championship qualifier since October 2007 (20 games). The last time they played in a qualifier in Frankfurt, they were held to a 0-0 draw by Wales one month after that last defeat, to the Czech Republic.
- The only unbeaten side left in Group D (won four, drawn two), Poland have won two and drawn one on the road.
- Germany have won their last three Group D games, scoring 13 without conceding. In total, they have managed 148 shots on goal in six games – 24 more than any other nation.
Germany: Neuer - Rudy, Boateng, Hummels, Hector - Schweinsteiger, Kroos - Müller, Özil, Schürrle – Götze
Poland: Szczesny – Rybus, Szukala, Glik, Piszczek – Krychnowiak, Maczynski - Peszko, Milik, Grosicki – Lewandowski