Madrid - Bayer 04 Leverkusen failed to book their ticket for the last eight of the UEFA Champions League after suffering a 3-2 defeat on penalties away to Club Atletico de Madrid, having lost the second leg 1-0 after extra time.

Mario Suarez’s 27th-minute strike neutralised Leverkusen’s 1-0 first-leg advantage and levelled the tie on aggregate at the Estadio Vicente Calderon, before a brilliant defensive display from the visitors took proceedings all the way to penalties. Hakan Calhanoglu, Ömer Toprak and Stefan Kießling all missed from the spot, however, as Roger Schmidt’s brave troops departed the European stage.

Bellarabi’s warning

A goal down from the first leg, the home side began ferociously, despite clear-cut goalscoring opportunities proving difficult to come by for Diego Simeone’s men. Indeed, Leverkusen enjoyed the game’s first chance, Karim Bellarabi’s attempt from the edge of the area deflecting wide, before Heung-Min Son’s half-volley was blocked inside the Atletico six-yard box.

Leverkusen were restricting the Spanish champions, although neither side was able to claim control in a battle of pressing until Suarez’s shot from the edge of the box - his side’s first of the game - deflected past Bernd Leno in the Bayer goal for the opener. The visitors were rattled and only a brilliant tackle from Wendell prevented Mario Mandzukic from doubling the hosts’ lead four minutes later.


Gonzalo Castro denied Antoine Griezmann with a last-ditch challenge shortly after the restart and although Hakan Calhanoglu tested Jan Oblak at the other end soon afterwards, it was the hosts who were turning the screw. The Leverkusen defence was repeatedly called into action to clear dangerous crosses, but neither Atletico, nor a Bayer side intent on counter attacking had fashioned further noteworthy chances by the hour mark.

With time running out, Arda Turan twice came close for Atletico, with good defending from Emir Spahic and Leno denying the Turkish midfielder. As last season’s runners-up pushed for the winner, however, Leverkusen began finding more space as both substitute Stefan Kießling and Bellarabi threatened from outside the box. Yet, with 180 minutes insufficient to separate the sides, the tie advanced to extra time.

Penalty lottery

Leverkusen emerged for the final half hour in enterprising fashion, but failed to capitalise on several half-chances before Griezmann fluffed his lines at the other end. It was the cue for the hosts to regain their superiority, and despite Simon Rolfes worrying Oblak from range, it was Leno’s save from Raul Garcia which meant the tie progressed to penalties. Although Rolfes and Castro found the net from 12 yards, misses from Calhanoglu, Toprak and Kießling meant that die Werkself departed Europe's top table.


Club Atletico de Madrid:
Moya (Oblak, 23') - Juanfran, Gimenez, Miranda, Jesus Gamez - Mario Suarez, Koke, Cani (Raul Garcia, 46') - Arda, Griezmann, Mandzukic (Torres, 83')

Bayer 04 Leverkusen: Leno - Hilbert, Toprak, Spahic, Wendell - Castro, Bender (Papadopoulos, 105') - Bellarabi, Son (Rolfes, 77'), Calhanoglu - Drmic (Kießling, 69')

Goals: Suarez, 27'

Penalties scored: 1-0 Griezmann; 1-1 Rolfes; 2-1 Suarez; 2-2 Castro; 3-2 Torres