Munich - In the end it was Chelsea rather than FC Bayern Munich who made history in the final of European football's most prestigious competition on Saturday night, as they overcame the odds to win 4-3 on penalties and become the first London-based team to win the UEFA Champions League.

Bayern were the dominant side for the majority of the game as they pinned Chelsea back, but were left to rue their missed chances come the final whistle. Thomas Müller's strike in the 83rd minute looked to have won the match for FCB only for Didier Drogba to head home with just over a minute remaining in normal time to force the match to be extended.

Petr Cech saved an Arjen Robben penalty in extra-time and after Bayern failed to break through again, the game was left to be decided on spot kicks, where Drogba converted the all-important winner for the Londoners after Ivica Olic and Bastian Schweinsteiger had both missed.

Bullish start for Bayern

The Bayern fans pre-match choreography sent a clear message to the visiting supporters with the words "Our City, Our Stadium, Our Trophy" clearly visible alongside a picture of the coveted prize. The home side responded by creating early pressure and with it the first chances in the match. Gary Cahill had to produce a last-ditch tackle to block Schweinsteiger's shot, while the resulting corner ended in Toni Kroos drilling an effort just wide after Chelsea failed to clear their lines.

The Londoners opted to sit deep in the opening exchanges and focused on isolating Franck Ribery and Robben out wide, but struggled to impose themselves going forward, with their most promising moves petering out in the final third. However, former Blues winger Robben was providing a constant threat for die Münchner. Having unsuccessfully snatched at two earlier efforts, the Dutchman forced Cech to make an unorthodox save with the tip of his toe after darting dangerously beyond Chelsea's backline.

No breakthrough

With half an hour played Roberto di Matteo's side were yet to test Manuel Neuer in what was an increasingly one-sided affair. The visitors were at their most dangerous out wide, but the opening goal was not forthcoming as Ribery and Müller both fired wide with clear sights of goal.

As half time approached, Chelsea began discovering more space in Bayern's half and almost took the lead courtesy of a flowing move on the break. Drogba's deft flick on the edge of the area allowed Frank Lampard to play in Salomon Kalou, whose fierce shot was well held by Neuer at his front post. However, it was the hosts who arguably should have taken the lead on the stroke of half-time when Gomez dropped a shoulder to outmaneuvre Gary Cahill only to blaze his attempt wastefully over the bar, as the deadlock remained intact.

Signs of a stalemate

Bayern were out of the blocks quickly in the second half and immediately sought to re-establish their control on proceedings. Kroos and Drogba exchanged wild efforts at either end, but it was the hosts who continued to look the more likely to score. They thought they had done just that less than ten minutes after the restart, but when Ribery found the back of the net from Robben's blocked shot, the assistant's raised flag ruled the goal out.

Jupp Heynckes' side maintained their intensity and began camping out in Chelsea's half, but became increasingly frustrated due to their inability to turn their sustained pressure into clear-cut chances. Chelsea had slipped back into bad habits and were living dangerously as they continually gifted Bayern the initiative. Robben and Ribery both had efforts blocked in their attempts to spark FCB into life and it seemed only a matter of time before the hosts opened their account.

Drogba rains on Müller's parade

With less than ten minutes remaining the deadlock was finally broken. Müller's first back post header drew a routine save out of Chelsea's keeper, but less than a minute later the midfielder got the better of Cech with an almost identical chance that he headed powerfully into the ground and in off the underside of the bar.

With the Blues opening up in search of an equaliser, Robben squandered a chance to put the game to bed, a mistake that was punished soon after when the scores were levelled. Drogba ghosted in front of his marker to meet Juan Mata's corner with a thumping header at the front post that Neuer could only palm into the roof of his own net, sending the tie into extra-time.

Drama far from over

Having been rocked by the late equaliser Bayern looked unsure of themselves at the start of time added on, but were handed a lifeline when Drogba clipped the heels of Ribery inside the box, who subsequently had to leave the pitch with a calf problem. However, the hosts' morale took another blow as Robben failed to convert the spot kick as Cech guessed the right way, gathering the ball up at the second attempt.

FCB were struggling to rouse themselves, but continued to push forward and almost found a way through early on in the second half of extra-time. Philipp Lahm's clipped cross reached Ivica Olic, who thought he had put the ball on a plate for fellow substitute Daniel van Buyten, only to see the defender stumble at the vital moment as the effort rolled wide of the far post. With Chelsea rarely troubling Bayern's backline, Robben and Gomez both wasted chances to grab the winner, but in the end it was left to penalties to decide the match as Olic and Schweinsteiger missed to hand the Blues a historic victory.


Bayern: Neuer - Lahm, Boateng, Tymoshchuk, Contento - Schweinsteiger, Kroos - Robben, Müller (van Buyten 86'), Ribery (Olic 97') - Gomez

Chelsea: Cech - Bosingwa, David Luiz, Cahill, Cole - Mikel, Lampard - Kalou (Torres 83'), Mata, Bertrand (Malouda 73') - Drogba

Goals: 1-0 Müller (83'), 1-1 Drogba (88')

Other: Robben missed penalty (95')

Referee: Pedro Proenca (Portugal)

James Thorogood