Goals: 1-0 Kruse (45')
Having picked up four points from their previous two games, Stuttgart began confidently with a Takuma Asano header that flew off target. Sitting second from bottom of the standings, Werder sought some of the inspiration that led to a 4-0 triumph against Hannover on Matchday 12 and they went close to sneaking a lead here when Fin Bartels nodded marginally wide. Max Kruse hit a hat-trick in that aforementioned triumph against Die Roten and he was on hand to net from a free-kick right before the break to put the River Islanders ahead.
Werder looked set fair for two home wins in a row but their celebrations were short lived after the break when VAR ruled out a Bartels effort after Kruse had previously turned provider. Returning from a brief spell in the treatment room, Thomas Delaney tried his luck from a set piece and went close to doubling his team's advantage with a free-kick that whistled just wide. Delaney and Holger Badstuber then exchanged late chances but it was Werder who held on for a valuable three points.
- Werder beat promoted Hannover 4-0 in their first home game under Kohfeldt. They have added the scalp of the league’s other promoted club with victory against Stuttgart.
- VfB last won an away Bundesliga game on 6 February 2016 at Eintracht Frankfurt (4-2). Their run without a top-flight victory now stands at 14 matches.
- Coaches Kohfeldt (35) and Wolf (36) have a combined age of 71 – Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes alone is 72. Only Hoffenheim's Julian Nagelsmann (30) and Schalke's Domenico Tedesco (32) are younger than the pair.
- There had previously been at least two goals in the last 20 games between these teams (4.2 per game).
- Stuttgart’s last win in Bremen was over 11 years ago on 16 September 2006. The visitors were 2-0 down that day before Mario Gomez assisted two and then scored the winner in the 87th minute.
Werder Bremen: Pavlenka - Gebre Selassie , Veljkovic , Moisander , Augustinsson - Bargfrede (Sane 75') - M. Eggestein (Gondorf 89'), Delaney - Bartels (85'), Junuzovic (c) - M. Kruse
Subs: Drobny, R. Bauer, L. Sané, Gondorf, Hajrovic, Kainz, Belfodil
Absentees: Zetterer (wrist), Caldirola (foot), Eilers (knee ligament damage), Johannsson (knee)
Coach: Florian Kohfeldt
Stuttgart: Zieler - Pavard, Baumgartl, Badstuber, - Beck, Gentner (c), Ascaibar, Insua (Terodde 61') - Brekalo, Özcan (Akolo 70'), Asano (Donis 57')
Subs: Grahl, Aogo, Kaminski, Akolo, Mangala, Donis, Terodde
Absentees: Meyer (thigh), Mane (knee), Zimmermann (knee ligaments), Ginczek (groin)
Coach: Hannes Wolf