Goals: 1-0 Thommy (53'), 1-1 Füllkrug (90+1')
After Emiliano Insua saved his side as Martin Harnik loomed at the far post, and Harnik then did reach a cross just ahead of Ron-Robert Zieler only to divert the ball into the Stuttgart goalkeeper's chest, the hosts found top gear and peppered the Hannover goal. Mario Gomez was first to test Philipp Tschauner with Erik Thommy following as Stuttgart started to boss proceedings, albeit without finding a goal.
Felix Klaus tested Zieler with an early sighter in the second half, but like in the first 45 minutes, the hosts grew as the half progressed. This time they were able to finish off one of their chances, on the other hand, with Thommy firing a low shot from the edge of the area into the bottom of the far corner of Tschauner's goal. Thommy earned a standing ovation as he left the field with 15 minutes to go – his attacking ability no longer required by Tayfun Korkut, whose side shut up shop but fell agonisingly short of taking all three points as the in-form Füllkrug flicked a header over Zieler to snatch Hannover a draw in stoppage time.
- The 3-0 loss to Dortmund last Saturday was Korkut's first as Stuttgart coach. The Swabians remain unbeaten at home under the former Turkey midfielder, with three wins and two draws at the Mercedes-Benz Arena since his appointment in January.
- Stuttgart's starting XI had an average age of 28.2 years – their oldest average age in over 12 years, when they beat Nuremberg with a side averaging 28.3.
- Füllkrug is Hannover's top scorer with 12 goals, five more than former Stuttgart man Harnik.
- Harnik has scored against 16 of the current 18 Bundesliga clubs, with only Stuttgart and RB Leipzig missing from his CV.
- Hannover and Stuttgart were relegated together in 2016 and promoted together in 2017.
Stuttgart: Zieler – Beck (Mangala 46'), Pavard, Baumgartl, Insua – Thommy (Özcan 75'), Badstuber, Gentner (c), Aogo – Ginczek, Gomez
Unused subs: Grahl, Donis, Burnic, Bruun Larsen, Kaminski
Absentees: Ascacibar (suspended), Mane (thigh), Akolo (flu)
Coach: Tayfun Korkut
Hannover: Tschauner (c) – Korb (Maier 85'), Sane, Hübers – Bebou, Schwegler, Fossum (Saranren Bazee 78'), Albornoz – Harnik, Klaus (Karaman 65') – Füllkrug
Unused Subs: Esser, Elez, Bakalorz, Ostrzolek
Absentees: Anton (thigh), Felipe (hamstring), Hübner (ankle), Prib (cruciate ligament), Jonathas (thigh)
Coach: Andre Breitenreiter