VfB Stuttgart were left still waiting for their first win of the season, although they had their goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler to thank for saving them a point in a goalless draw at home to Fortuna Düsseldorf on Friday night.
Stuttgart 0-0 Düsseldorf
Seeking their first win of the season, Stuttgart shaded an otherwise tight and tense first half. Chadrac Akolo's curling shot was plucked out of the air by Michael Rensing, but it broke loose when he fell to the ground and Mario Gomez was unable to react quickly enough to turn it in from close range. Gomez went close again five minutes before the interval when he met Nicolas Gonzalez's cross at the near post, but turned the ball wide of the post
Düsseldorf raced out of the traps in the second half with Zieler twice called upon to keep Stuttgart on terms, providing a fine save to turn a Niko Gießelmann header away. Gonzalez headed Stuttgart's first chance of the second half wide, but it was the guests asking most of the questions with Marvin Ducksch's effort punched clear by Zieler. The Stuttgart number one then improvised to turn an Alfredo Morales effort behind with his foot before making another stunning stop to deny Kaan Ayhan instinctively.
- Zieler saved all seven shots on his goal.
- Düsseldorf have kept a clean sheet in the first half of all four of their Bundesliga games this season, and are unbeaten since Matchday 1.
- Stuttgart won their final four matches of the 2017/18 campaign, but are winless in five matches in all competitions so far this season.
- Stuttgart striker Gomez has scored against all but one of the Bundesliga’s 18 current Bundesliga clubs: Fortuna.
- Fortuna are without a win in 16 away Bundesliga games (D4, L12) stretching back over six years.
- Stuttgart are unbeaten in 10 top-flight matches against promoted teams (W3, D7).
Stuttgart: Zieler – Beck, Pavard, Baumgartl, Insua – Gentner (c) (Donis 74'), Ascacibar, Castro (Özcan 85'), Akolo (Thommy 57') – Gonzalez, Gomez
Unused subs: Grahl, Aogo, Maffeo, Badstuber
Absentees: Meyer (cruciate ligament), Kempf (thigh)
Coach: Tayfun Korkut
Fortuna: Rensing – Zimmer, Ayhan, Kaminski, Dodzek (c), Gießelmann – Zimmermann, Sobottka, Morales – Ducksch (Hennings 71'), Raman (Lukebakio 71')
Unused subs: Thießen, Lovren, Stöger, Bormuth, Usami
Absentees: Wiesner (pubic bone), Contento (cruciate ligament), Duman (groin), Karaman (muscle), Wolf (neck)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel